Picking the ball clean off wet fairways

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Any tips to hit irons clean off wet fairways

Should i move my ball forward slightly ?

Played today and the wet fairways were killing my distance but my colleague was picking them off the fairway clean

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personally dont think you should be trying to pick them clean, just make sure you hit the little ball before you hit the big ball, if anything move the ball back an inch in your stance, moving it forward will make you more likely to hit ground before ball

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Would suggest you don't try to dramatically alter your ball-striking simply to suit unusual conditions. Just take an extra club!

Pickers possibly have benefit from such conditions in the same way short hitters are likely to benefit from forward tees.

Roll on Spring and hosepipe bans! :D

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure why people try to pick it clean from the fairway. I just hit it like in summer and strike the ball then turf, if you are doing that then you will not have any problems. If like me you are someone who normally takes a fair sized divot then to stop doing it you are going to have to change your swing and I do not see the point in that.

The thing that I do notice in people in this weather is how the soggy ground shows a failing in their swing and they are catching the ball turf just before the ball, which in summer is fine as the club is not going to dig in.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure why people try to pick it clean from the fairway. I just hit it like in summer and strike the ball then turf, if you are doing that then you will not have any problems. If like me you are someone who normally takes a fair sized divot then to stop doing it you are going to have to change your swing and I do not see the point in that.

The thing that I do notice in people in this weather is how the soggy ground shows a failing in their swing and they are catching the ball turf just before the ball, which in summer is fine as the club is not going to dig in.

Good post Adey. :thup: