Phil Mickelson a gent ?

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
Just read in my local paper of 2 local golf fans who won the competition to meet with Phil Mickelson , we was made aware of the competition on the forum some time ago. Anyway they made their way up to Loch Lomond as instructed , but Phil had forgotten about it and gone to play a practice round at Birkdale, ahead of the open. When he was reminded he had them and other competition winners flown from Loch Lomond to Southport in his brand new $60 million gulfstream jet that he had only used for the first time the previous day to fly over from the states. That must have been the icing on the cake for them , Did anybody on here have the same good fortune? :cool:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A great gesture. Have to be honest and say up until about a year ago there was something about Mickleson I didn't like (great player but just something you couldn't put your finger on) in the same way I hated Corey Pavin the 80's for no reason.

Since my wife began liking him (he comes from San Diego where her sister now lives) I have warmed to him and he has written and spoken a lot of good things in the media. It is touching in this day and age to see someone really put themselves out. It would have been so easy just to arrange for the winners to get a load of signed goodies as an apology but he made the prize even more special

NB I know it is standard thing now but Mickleson got a hole in one at Loch Lomond earlier and gave a kid the ball. You should have seen the delight in his eyes

Well done Phil - Class act

B

birdieman

Always liked Phil, wears his heart on his sleeve. Credit to him for being the only American player at the Scottish Open. These insular Yanks should follow his example and get over here more than 2 days before the Open to get body clocks adjusted etc. Glad to see the sun is finally shining at Loch Lomond, looks a great course too.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh No!!!!

He has made me eat my words again. I saw it live and it was a class act. I am very much afraid I am going to end up liking him a lot.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nico, I am starting to warm to him again, I just cant help myself.

Cant help but feel he would be a better player if he had a mean streak in him. Sometimes he just seems to nice when he should be rilled up and challenging Tiger etc.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've always seen him as a thoroughly decent guy and this seems like the kind of thing he would do.

I believe he's pretty much always corteous and polite to fans the media which can't be said for some pro golfers.

He comes across as a guy with his feet on the ground and I always try to be Phil when I get the lob wedge out.

He's got creativity and imagination in his game and that always makes him a good watch on the tv.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
He is a naturally reserved guy, yet handles the public eye superbly in my opinion and he is a model professional. He hits the golf ball pretty well as well ;) Good on him for sorting out the error but his management company deserve a ticking off for such a lapse scheduling error, he pays them to ensure things like this ,that could give him a bad reputation, are avoided.