PGA Tour - Restarting in June

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Announcement came with a big caveat of "At this time, the Tour plans to resume play with the first four events closed to the general public but will continue to monitor the situation and follow the recommendations of local and state authorities in order to determine the most appropriate on-site access in each market.

"As such, the Tour will continually review available Covid-19-related protocols that could be implemented at PGA Tour events to ensure the health and well-being for all involved."

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
On one hand it is good to see a sport looking to get back to normal but even behind closed doors that is an awful lot of people in a fairly tight space and I am sure these golfing superstars will still be using the clubhouse and the facilities, plus confined spaces like the scorers hut. I wonder if Trump has given them the green light or if they've done it off their own back. Think it's a rash and poorly thought decision

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
won't happen. Even if it was put in place, only the lesser knowns who need the money would turn up. Why would the super stars put them selves or familly at risk. They don't need the cash.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
won't happen. Even if it was put in place, only the lesser knowns who need the money would turn up. Why would the super stars put them selves or familly at risk. They don't need the cash.
It will be interesting to hear the response of the players. I wonder if the Americans have a different attitude and are happier to get back out?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure how much gamesmanship is going on with this and a few other sports. You put forward dates not too far away and you keep the sponsors, TV companies etc off your back for a while and the date keeps shuffling further forward

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I really can't see it as the time it takes to prep the venue - even without grandstands etc mean they would have to get going whilst they are still in lockdown.

I also don't see how you could reasonably socially distance yourself on the course yet alone stay away from officials, coaches, etc.

Would the pros also be happy to putt ecerything with the flag in?

Think the European Tour plans for Autumn are more realistic.

Mick68

Visit site
I think it could go ahead. A lot of Americans seem to have a different attitude to this than everyone else - just look at their president. They might live to regret it. The players at least are mostly young and fit so might not feel at risk though they could obviously spread it to others . I'm pretty sure a lot of them will be desperate to play competitive golf too.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
As far as golf is concerned. It could easily go ahead, in a number of ways:

Test everyone prior, close a hotel and keep all caddies and players there, I would be incredibly jealous as they can drink in a group etc if they are all cleared. Then they can play as usual. Or give them sterile accommodation (if needed) / move it to Florida where most players have a home. And have a guy on each hole taking the flag and social distancing maintained.

99% of the TV crew are well away from anyone, with no fans there is no reason to spread infection.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
i so want this to go ahead. Even if just to see how their rounds are affected by no (a lot less)spotters and no flattened walk ways from spectators.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Test everyone prior, close a hotel and keep all caddies and players there, I would be incredibly jealous as they can drink in a group etc if they are all cleared. Then they can play as usual. Or give them sterile accommodation (if needed) / move it to Florida where most players have a home. And have a guy on each hole taking the flag and social distancing maintained.

99% of the TV crew are well away from anyone, with no fans there is no reason to spread infection.

That is just pie in the sky stuff.

?

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Absolutely everyone involved, from players to greenkeepers ,cleaners, drivers, caterers,officials, caddies, media, hotel staff etc etc would all have to be isolated for the duration of the tournament in the same place and be tested.
Once this tournament is over, unless you're going to move exactly the same people to the next one, there will need to be an isolation and testing period all over again.
If 1 person, from the hundreds that are going to be involved, breaks that isolation then you, potentially, have to isolate everyone for another 14 days and test again...
It's a massive undertaking and the absolute last thing the PGA needs is a player contracting C19 during a tournament, being admitted and dying.
Its several weeks away, plenty can happen in that time.
But I think they're just trying to come back too soon

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who is picking up the costs?
If you are talking football then I don't know. It was an idea being floated but it would only be for top level football across Europe. With money at stake in Spain, Italy, Germany, England then would it be that much? We currently have empty hotels all over the country. Hire a country hotel, 2-3 teams per hotel. Chicken feed compared to the money lost if fixtures are not fulfilled.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Absolutely everyone involved, from players to greenkeepers ,cleaners, drivers, caterers,officials, caddies, media, hotel staff etc etc would all have to be isolated for the duration of the tournament in the same place and be tested.
Once this tournament is over, unless you're going to move exactly the same people to the next one, there will need to be an isolation and testing period all over again.
If 1 person, from the hundreds that are going to be involved, breaks that isolation then you, potentially, have to isolate everyone for another 14 days and test again...
It's a massive undertaking and the absolute last thing the PGA needs is a player contracting C19 during a tournament, being admitted and dying.
Its several weeks away, plenty can happen in that time.
But I think they're just trying to come back too soon

This is roughly what was in the Sports Illustrated article I posted up, which I really don't think many bothered reading, as it probably isn't what they wanted to hear.