PGA Tour Championships

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I didn't watch last night so got up this morning looking to see what happened. Tiger, Tiger, Tiger. BBC, itv, neither mentioned that Rose, the Brit remember, won $10m and the overall competition.

BBC website was its usual 'neutral reporter' :)

Emotional Woods wins for first time in five years as Rose takes $10m Tour jackpot as the main Sports headline

and

Tiger Woods wins Tour Championship as Justin Rose secures FedEx Cup
as the headline to the article!

Article also noted that Rose lost his #1 renking (presumably to Dustin).

I believe it's time restrictions that cause Reporters/Editors to cut often quite interesting parts of items on TV. Far fewer restrictions on internet articles!

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with that Papas. I expected Woods to lead but Rose was not even getting mentioned. That was strange.

Foxholer, I was referencing tv reports. The website mentioned Rose but the tv was not.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The biggest sporting story of the year, possibly decade and some want a big deal made of the guy who came 5th, come on guys.
I was surprised to see he has made 18 starts this year so why is it the biggest sporting story of the year (possibly the decade) ?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was surprised to see he has made 18 starts this year so why is it the biggest sporting story of the year (possibly the decade) ?

Probably because just 13 months ago he was cleared by his doctor to begin pitching again after having his spine fused, and yesterday he completed his comeback winning one of the biggest events on the PGA Tour, moving from nearly 1200th in the world to 13th and finishing 2nd in the Fed Ex. This coming after 5 years of constant injuries, surgeries and failed comebacks, a complete loss of his golf game, inability to finish a tournament due to constant injuries and a complete breakdown of his personal life. I'd say that's a pretty big sporting news story.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ben Hogan. Survives car crash after head on collision with bus. Battles through recovery. 11 months after returns to golf...Wins 1950 us open 16 months after crash. That is the greatest comeback in golf. Yesterday was brilliant to see but not on the Hogan level

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Ben Hogan. Survives car crash after head on collision with bus. Battles through recovery. 11 months after returns to golf...Wins 1950 us open 16 months after crash. That is the greatest comeback in golf. Yesterday was brilliant to see but not on the Hogan level

Without dismissing Hogan's comeback, what was the level of his competitors around that time ? Much has been said about the high level of the top guys now, like so many can win on any given day, how many did Hogan have to compete against.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Without dismissing Hogan's comeback, what was the level of his competitors around that time ? Much has been said about the high level of the top guys now, like so many can win on any given day, how many did Hogan have to compete against.

I don't think the raw numbers are really comparable. It's all relative to the era you are in.

There may have been fewer competitors, but there were fewer events as well and it was much harder to exist as a tour professional. Now the guy who is ranked 100 in the world is probably a multi-millionaire and secure for life if he never entered another golf tournament.
Guys were playing for their livelihood back then. Living out of a suitcase and taking questionable transport around the country.

Hogan's record stands up against Woods' no question. 9 majors, but he only played the Open Championship once, in 1953. Due to the logistics & cost of travelling to the UK and that it would take him off the American tour for a few weeks and he didn't think it was worth the prize money. So one attempt at Carnoustie, where he won. Tiger will already have had close to 20 entries, and has probably missed about 5 through injury.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think some opinions on here are being affected by personal opinions of Tiger himself.
It’s hard to say if it’s the biggest comeback in sporting history or even in golfing history. Indeed, I am not sure anyone is even claiming that. However, I think we should (but probably won’t) agree that it’s a remarkable achievement and a wonderful demonstration of determination and athleticism and what can be achieved by modern science and healthcare.
The scenes on Sunday night were quite incredible and like him or loathe him there is simply no doubt that Tiger is box office and that is great for golf.
There will be some that wish it had never happened. That’s a shame.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Are we really having any kind of discussion on who's injury/rehabilitation was better/worse

This forum loses its way sometimes it really does