Penalty for asking what club are you using

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Sunday we were in a strokeplay competition playing a drivable Par 4
I had the honour, but was waiting for the green to clear, one of my playing partners asked me what club I was using, I said "Driver" , he said "I'll play first as I'm using an iron and laying up" , The 3rd member of our group said "Is that not a penalty as I'm sure your not allowed to ask what club you are using"
What would be the ruling in this situation?

Steven Rules

Visit site
There is an element of intent in the defintipn of 'advice'. In this example, the intent of the question about club selection appears to be for the purposes of playing ready golf rather than influencing club selection or how to play the hole.

In my opinion, this scenario does not breach Rule 10.2a on advice.

Having said that, it's always wise to be cautious when discussing matters such as this during the round.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is an element of intent in the defintipn of 'advice'. In this example, the intent of the question about club selection appears to be for the purposes of playing ready golf rather than influencing club selection or how to play the hole.

Having said that, it's always wise to be cautious when discussing matters such as this during the round.
I was just going to say much the same.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sunday we were in a strokeplay competition playing a drivable Par 4
I had the honour, but was waiting for the green to clear, one of my playing partners asked me what club I was using, I said "Driver" , he said "I'll play first as I'm using an iron and laying up" , The 3rd member of our group said "Is that not a penalty as I'm sure your not allowed to ask what club you are using"
What would be the ruling in this situation?

Avoid playing with player 3 🤣

I doubt this would be a rule break as it isn't advise, it's speeding up play

Maybe ask "are you laying up?" Next time to avoid issues

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site

Agree. The question (or the answer) was not asked with the intent of influencing either player’s stroke.
However, be reminded that pace of play does not over-ride any Rules.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Avoid playing with player 3 🤣

I doubt this would be a rule break as it isn't advise, it's speeding up play

Maybe ask "are you laying up?" Next time to avoid issues
This is what I was thinking. "Are you going for the green?" would be a safer terminology perhaps.

But ultimately, leave it out. Imagine trying to give a penalty for that. Hopefully the guy was joking.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is what I was thinking. "Are you going for the green?" would be a safer terminology perhaps.

But ultimately, leave it out. Imagine trying to give a penalty for that. Hopefully the guy was joking.
If he thought it, and said it out loud without a huge grin on his face,............... he was not joking 😞 . No huge grin was mentioned so..........

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If he thought it, and said it out loud without a huge grin on his face,............... he was not joking 😞 . No huge grin was mentioned so..........
Well I would have laughed at him if that helps. 😂 You can plainly see when someone pulls driver out of their bag anyway, it would be the stupidest penalty of all time.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Guy I play with a lot I forget he only been playing about a year .. (since he saved me from being locked out my car) he's got pretty good fast

He asked me about clubs a few times (means nothing to him, on same hole yesterday I took a 7 he took a wedge ) I said be careful in a comp because that's a rule break technically so don't get pulled up on it when you play serious.. he couldn't believe it

Same with attending the flag. Didn't even know what it meant because it's been in or out since he started

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Well I would have laughed at him if that helps. 😂 You can plainly see when someone pulls driver out of their bag anyway, it would be the stupidest penalty of all time.
If he isn’t pulling the club out of the bag and the player has no club in hand then you do have to be very careful with your intentions for asking

Someone could be asking to try and gain and advantage etc

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Guy I play with a lot I forget he only been playing about a year .. (since he saved me from being locked out my car) he's got pretty good fast

He asked me about clubs a few times (means nothing to him, on same hole yesterday I took a 7 he took a wedge ) I said be careful in a comp because that's a rule break technically so don't get pulled up on it when you play serious.. he couldn't believe it

Same with attending the flag. Didn't even know what it meant because it's been in or out since he started
I think that is a very different scenario, and you were spot on to point this out, in a friendly way. Personally, I don't have an issue with it but it is a rule so you have to follow it.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site

To be fair to the 3rd player, he wasn't trying to insinuate that there should be a penalty , he was more quizzical about it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Scenario 1
Are you hitting driver? If so, can I go first as I'm laying up?

Scenario 2
Player 1 has just hit the green on a par 3 and player 2 asks what club he hit.

If someone can't see the difference between the two scenarios, I'm not playing with them again