PCC guesses

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played in a comp today. Scored 36 points, very happy.

Just checked, and I am 25th out of 89 entrants. The top 27 have shot 36 points or more off 95% of Course Handicap. Winner has 45 points.

Anybody care to hazard as guess as to what PCC will be generated tonight?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played in a comp today. Scored 36 points, very happy.

Just checked, and I am 25th out of 89 entrants. The top 27 have shot 36 points or more off 95% of Course Handicap. Winner has 45 points.

Anybody care to hazard as guess as to what PCC will be generated tonight?

I played in a very similar scoring comp recently though even more heavily skewed to good scoring, PCC was 0.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It's interesting that as a general rule the PCC is higher than 0 only on Wednesdays at my club. That's the day the ladies have two comps, so the majority of counting scores that day are from the ladies.
Might this suggest that the course rating formula for ladies is a little harsh?

wjemather

Visit site
It's interesting that as a general rule the PCC is higher than 0 only on Wednesdays at my club. That's the day the ladies have two comps, so the majority of counting scores that day are from the ladies.
Presumably their handicaps are based on those ratings, so that wouldn't be the case.
Conditions truly being equal, a PCC above zero could be an indication of a disproportionate number of declining golfers playing the course that day, or just a higher proportion than normal scoring badly.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My experience on a handicap committee was that percentage wise far more ladies had too lower a handicap than men and they were the most vociferous when it came to putting their handicaps up.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
So incidentally on Wednesday (when there wasn't a comp) the PCC was 1. Conditions were very similar. I had 4 mates submit cards that day, who scored 34, 35, 36 and 38 points.
I'm thinking a lower number of England Golf scorecard submissions on the non comp day, but a higher proportion of them than the 28% in Monday's comp being better than handicap.

Do we even know how minimum number of rounds that need to be submitted in a day for a PCC calculation to take place?

Swango1980

Visit site
So incidentally on Wednesday (when there wasn't a comp) the PCC was 1. Conditions were very similar. I had 4 mates submit cards that day, who scored 34, 35, 36 and 38 points.
I'm thinking a lower number of England Golf scorecard submissions on the non comp day, but a higher proportion of them than the 28% in Monday's comp being better than handicap.

Do we even know how minimum number of rounds that need to be submitted in a day for a PCC calculation to take place?

wjemather

Visit site

Minimum 8 scores for PCC to run. All scores submitted that day are treated equally.
Most who look at PCC and wonder why it hasn't moved are looking at the proportion of the field playing to handicap or better. Since such scoring is a 1 in 5 occurrence, so generally better than expected, the benchmark needs to be lowered to get a better feel for PCC.
To guesstimate PCC, I'd say.... look at the proportion of all scores submitted that are close to what might be expected under standard conditions (average scores are about 3 or 4 over handicap, so probably within a few of that), and also the proportion scoring better and worse than what might be expected, and how much worse.

Last edited:

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting, thanks.

So, lowering benchmarks - on Monday 59% of the field of 87 players scored 33 points or better and 16% scored 27 points or worse and PCC was zero.
On Wednesday I only have access to 4 submitted scores, all of which were better than 33 points (but none anywhere near the high of 45 on Monday). So I guess a further four players submitting low thirties might well push PCC towards one. Just doesn't feel right.

I know, I know, we can't know, I'm just interested.

wjemather

Visit site
Interesting, thanks.

So, lowering benchmarks - on Monday 59% of the field of 87 players scored 33 points or better and 16% scored 27 points or worse and PCC was zero.
On Wednesday I only have access to 4 submitted scores, all of which were better than 33 points (but none anywhere near the high of 45 on Monday). So I guess a further four players submitting low thirties might well push PCC towards one. Just doesn't feel right.

I know, I know, we can't know, I'm just interested.
Only looking at your Monday comp scores (there was one unacceptable for handicapping):
  • 37 or more: 16/86
  • 29-36 pts: 52/86
  • 28 or less: 18/86
It's very much an overly simplistic analysis, and doesn't include any GP scores, but with such an even spread, a PCC of 0 seems reasonable.

D-S

Visit site
I'm not sure ehat conditions have to do with it.
As you rightly say conditions do not necessarily have any influence, the people who happen to be playing that day has more importance.
We have a local club that ran a regular small roll up medal on a normal midweek summer morning with a handful of members playing. They were shocked to find the next day that the PCC was +3, course was in good shape, weather was fine etc.
They later learnt that a big society played in the afternoon after having a boisterous fairly liquid lunch. All the society players put GP cards in. It is a relatively tight tree lined course which utterly defeated the society, so there scores were all over the place resulting in the PCC.
This is an issue one of our clubs has, it is a hotel course and stag dos playing on the same day as a club comp sometimes plays havoc with the PCC.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm not sure what conditions have to do with it.
I was making the point that conditions hadn't been the difference on this occasion. But given courses are rated for normal conditions, are you saying that the same group of players would expect to return similar scores if, for example, high winds and hard greens were in play versus more normal conditions?