Paul Lawrie

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
VDV meltdown is famous and instantly recognisable, even for many non golf fans. I once put the pic of him in the burn on a presentation slide and the folk in the room instantly knew what it was.

Did that contribute to Paul's Open win? Of course it did. Does it detract from it? Of course not. He still had to get past van de Velde and Justin Leonard in the play off. (and the small matter of 72 preceding holes)

I was in Aberdeen a few years before that win, Paul was highly thought of ahead of being a Major Champion. Hope he does well whatever he does next.

D

Deleted member 3432

Yes I'd say most people will remember it as the VDV meltdown Open and may not even recall who actually won it.

Nobody remembers Justin Lenoard went into the Barry Burn on the 72nd and again on the final play off hole....

D

Deleted member 21258

Still one of the best opens that I watched, hard to believe it unfolded as it did.

Jean should have won in normal time, got another bite in extra time and lost. Sometimes the runner up is more famous than the winner, but was still a great watch. Doesn't mean you were good enough to win tho.

Well done Paul Lawrie and enjoy your time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I thought it was compelling viewing from the moment VdV went into the rough on the 18th. Yes he melted but don't forget he also holes a fair sized putt under huge pressure to get himself into the play off. Mentally I think he was shot but Leonard had finished and gathered his thoughts so could have posed a threat. In the end, in the play-off Lawrie played by far and away the best golf and so deserved the win

Bermuda

Visit site
Played three and won three at the Miracle of Medinah, f all lucky about that and I don't count his Open as lucky 4 rounds and a play off lowest score wins

DCB

Visit site
I followed Lawrie at Gleneagles early on during the 2012 Johnnie Walker Championship. He went on to win comfortably, but, he seemed to be in total control of his game. Watching him after his round on the practice ground was a lesson in itself. His win at Carnoustie, was up against a fairly stellar field. Look back and see the names and score of some of the worlds finest golfers as they succumbed to the worst of the Scottish weather. Only three people shot less than 70 that day, Lawrie played the same course and came outwith the lowest score of the day, 67. His coach, the late Adam Hunter, had the presence of mind to keep Lawrie focussed and kept his swing loose, he then went on to WIN a three man play off. A well deserved win. I hope he can play and be competitive on the Seniors tour for a few years.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Watched it this morning, hard not to really like both Lawrie and VDV. Great that Lawrie's an Open champ and he's incredible in what he does for Scottish golf but would still have loved van de Velde to have won and was one of the worst breaks to ricochet back like that.