Paul Lawrie

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I’ll admit that his career peak was before I was into much golf other than the masters every April, but I’m not sure what extra plaudits he should be given for his golf. He may do a lot off the course that I’m not aware off, but other than that Open win. His career performances will leave him below quite a few other European stalwarts imo.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I’ll admit that his career peak was before I was into much golf other than the masters every April, but I’m not sure what extra plaudits he should be given for his golf. He may do a lot off the course that I’m not aware off, but other than that Open win. His career performances will leave him below quite a few other European stalwarts imo.

And thats the attitude that sums it up perfectly stalwarts that don't have a major to their name.

Nuff said .......

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I don’t agree that one major automatically means you’ve had a bigger influence in the game.

I did a little google and tbh, I’ve heard far more of Paul than the other Europeans with similar European tour careers. In fact of all those with his 8 European wins or more (and no major), I’d say it’s only Westwood and Montgomery’s who gets more coverage. So think he gets a fair amount of credit.

I will say, having watched the Open event on sky about his win only this year. It was the first I’d seen him given respect for hes character as opposed to it all being about the bottle job of VDV.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

He has certainly been a great ambassador for the European Tour , played over 600 events in his career and always supported the tour. Was a great major win but European Tour and Scottish Golf Legend ? Guess depends on what criteria - 8 wins makes him just inside the top 50 of wins , solid player. Was excellent when he had his revival around 2012 and in the Ryder Cup at Medinah

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately the Open he won will always be remembered more for Van De Velde's meltdown than his excellent final round and solid performance in the play off. Did exceptionally well in his Ryder Cup performances too, beating Snedeker soon after him winning $10M in the Fedex, was delighted for him after the American columnist said in his predictions Paul reminded him of his air conditioning guy. Does a lot of good work with the children up in the North East, my daughter used to go to the flag events for juniors, great value and fun competitions for the youngsters in a good atmosphere. He did some of the prize giving's and spent time giving them short group lessons on finals day. His wife was also very involved and worked at their course, the whole family seemed down to earth and hard working.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good luck to him, hope he enjoys playing the Seniors whenever he plays and continues his excellent work giving back to Scottish golf.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He said today on Sky he was off 5 when he decided he wanted to turn pro.

He is well known for his endless hours of practice and, like Poulter and Harrington, has made the absolute best of his ability.

I know you're desperate for people to slag him off so you can have a fight Jacko ?, but people generally respect what he's achieved, even his lucky Open win. ?
Yes seen that .
He comes across as a really nice lad .
Said he prefers being the other side of the game helping others now.
Think his record speaks for itself and the other top pros who havnt won a major would swap a couple of their wins for just one.
Whatever VDV did Paul beat him and that’s all that counts .

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think he is hugely admired amongst his peers and has had a massive impact on the future of Scottish golf and players coming through. Excellent career on the ET and a tough and gritty RC player. I think he'll enjoy his time on the seniors and I am sure a media career will beckon

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
He has certainly been a great ambassador for the European Tour , played over 600 events in his career and always supported the tour. Was a great major win but European Tour and Scottish Golf Legend ? Guess depends on what criteria - 8 wins makes him just inside the top 50 of wins , solid player. Was excellent when he had his revival around 2012 and in the Ryder Cup at Medinah

His singles match at Medinah was superb, I think he had a cracking chip in as well during that match.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Traminator....getting confused here-'even his LUCKY Open win'?
Can you explain what's lucky about coming from 10 shots off the lead on the Sunday,then going and warming up on the range again(as per coach Adam Hunter)to get ready for a play-off-where he played the golf that deserved to win The Open.Or, am I misreading your comment somehow?
If I am,then I of course apologise.
Jimbo