Paul Lawrie

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great respect for Paul Lawrie, who is one of golf's finest ambassadors. He's put a lot more into the game and its development than the majority of players with a better record than him. And no doubt he will continue to do so while chopping it round with the geriatrics.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Undoubtedly a great ambassador and hard worker also comes across as a nice genuine guy. But legend, well I would say that comes down to personal interpretation.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When the usual suspects belittle Lawrie's Open win [you know the one where he defeated the entire field inc VDV] they do not seem to recall him finishing 3rd/4th in an Open a few years prior to his win..
BTW anyone on hear old enough to remember the last English winner of the Open. ;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When the usual suspects belittle Lawrie's Open win [you know the one where he defeated the entire field inc VDV] they do not seem to recall him finishing 3rd/4th in an Open a few years prior to his win..
BTW anyone on hear old enough to remember the last English winner of the Open. ;)
And the usual suspect turns it into Scotland Vs England...:rolleyes:
The facts are that PL played a fantastic final round - nobody can belittle that.
Had JVV not had a monumental brain fart on the 18th PL wouldn't have been in a playoff - which he cruised through to win.
JVV handed The Open to PL on a plate and he was good enough to grasp it.
No disrespect to PL but he shouldn't have been able to.
A great Ambassador for the game and for Scottish Golf..and a quality Ryder Cupper

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The direct comparison (on the course) would be Danny Willett if he never won again.....a fine player and played well to beat the field over 4 days in a major but certainly not in the legend category IMHO. Personally, i also think his major doesn't get the recognition it deserves as it was an unremarkable finale.
I loved watching PL play always came across as an unassuming gent, good to see him making way for the young guns.

D

Deleted member 15344

What does the last English winner have to do with it ?

I don’t see anyone “belittling” the Open win - Lawrie had a great round to play so well in awful conditions , he benefitted well from VDV blowing up spectacularly which is what people are saying. It doesn’t always have to be “England vs Scotland” any time someone posts an opinion on a Scottish “insert sportsteam/man/women/horse”

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think those who don’t understand why so many of us hold him in such esteem probably just don’t realise how much he does for the game.

Great playing career but it’s the bigger picture that makes him a legend in my eyes.

Must be a knighthood in the post, surely!
What..like Sir Colin..:unsure:

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Yeah man he's the guy who stood up and was counted when the going got tough. So many others would trade everything for a wee diddy jug.
2fishcaught.gif

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sad to see his last round wasn't as good as I think he and everyone would have hoped. Felt quite sad watching him walking up the last (and he seemed pretty close to tears too). Great words at the end. Hopefully the hoopla will die down and he can get himself fit to play on the seniors and keep doing all the hard and unseen work for Scottish golf

D

Deleted member 1147

Hell of a career; 620 events on the ET, 10%+ top 10’s and 8 ET wins, including a major.

But, probably not as consistently good as he could have been. Those that get more plaudits were more consistently on the top page of the leaderboards.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To be fair it's absolutely right down the bottom of the list of entertaining Open Championship wins.
He provided zero entertainment in the final round because he wasn't televised, and then prevailed superbly in a very one-sided, yawn fest playoff.

You can say what you want about the 1999 Open, but it not being entertaining is not one of them.

Not his fault he was not televised during his round, Van De Velde choked but people forget the quality of some of the other players ahead of Lawrie going into the final round, Woods, Norman, Cabrerra, Langer, Leonard, Montgomerie. The 4 hole play off was also not that one sided, Lawrie held a one shot lead from both other players after 3 holes so it was still all to play for on the final tee.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Entertaining - yawn fest?? Which one was it???

One sided? Wasn't one sided.

What an utter twit you are, can't even troll properly. You can join Homer on the bampot list.

Last edited by a moderator: