Path or Loose Impediments

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have several artificial paths at our place - mainly aimed at buggy users. Most are defined by wooden strips along each edge with the hard standing paths covered in loose chippings. Over time some of the chippings have spread over the boundaries which have the effect of extending the path beyond the original boundary.

My question is: should this now be regarded as a path with free relief if a ball comes to rest in this area?

It's outside the original boundary (wood still there) but the whole area is covered by chippings. The ball would be resting on them so you couldn't remove them all - just the ones around the ball.

I know this should be sorted by the green staff but there are lots of instances around the course so the prospects of them being fixed are not good.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Based on your description I would suggest that the path is the path and areas outside of the wooden strips are not the path....remove the stones as loose impediments as best you can but no free relief.....otherwise, who is to decide where the "migrant stones" come to an end? Someone might argue that a sole stone, separate from the main "migrant pack", gives them free relief.

Of course...you are left with the issue of the paths that do not have any wooden strips to "define" them.....might be tricky then to argue where a path starts and finishes!!!

Steven Rules

Visit site
Based on your description I would suggest that the path is the path and areas outside of the wooden strips are not the path....remove the stones as loose impediments as best you can but no free relief.....otherwise, who is to decide where the "migrant stones" come to an end? Someone might argue that a sole stone, separate from the main "migrant pack", gives them free relief.
Agreed.

This is a matter for the Committee. It is up to the Committee to define what constitutes - and, if necessary, what doesn't constitute - a path from which free relief is available. If there is widespread ambiguity among course users around the definition then it is also up to the Committee to remove the ambiguity - probably by issuing supplementary guidance.

NearHull

Visit site
We had wood chipping paths with retaining wood strips that clearly defined the path when considering possible relief. The greenkeeper has removed the strips because of mowing issues ( and perhaps because the contractor‘s definition of a straight path was loose). Over time the the chippings are going to migrate, leading to uncertainty of where does the side of the path end - standing by for a nightmare of incoming email complaints!

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had wood chipping paths with retaining wood strips that clearly defined the path when considering possible relief. The greenkeeper has removed the strips because of mowing issues ( and perhaps because the contractor‘s definition of a straight path was loose). Over time the the chippings are going to migrate, leading to uncertainty of where does the side of the path end - standing by for a nightmare of incoming email complaints!

As Steven has said, it's incumbent on the club to do something about it. If something is done on the course that causes confusion, you need to act to remove the confusion.

(I don't quite get the mowing issues but that's beside the point.)

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
(I don't quite get the mowing issues but that's beside the point.)

That's greenkeepers for you. :LOL:

Ours have seemingly over a period of months created what I can only describe as "sand ramps" that allow them to enter and exit bunkers easily on (I presume) machinery. Unfortunately this has lead to significant accumulations of sand outside of the bunker at the point of entry/exit....in one case they have created a continuous path of sand that effectively connects two adjacent bunkers.....I swore an awful lot the other day when my ball came to rest atop this sand path in a position that was clearly outside the margins of either bunker.

Sadly I seem to be swearing an awful lot at some of the things I am finding out on the course in recent months. Even the act of offering up constructive "criticism" is often taken the wrong way, as though your are slating everything the greekeeping staff do. On the whole they do a really good job under challenging conditions....but certain stuff just makes you want to scream out ....WHY????

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Such is the poor definition of our paths and tracks all across the course that one of our next significant ongoing projects is to sort them out so that it is clear what is a path or track from which free relief is provided, and that every such path or track s very clearly delineated. Anything else that might look ‘path-like’, sorry, no relief.

Might seem a lot of effort and cost for not much ‘return’, but the posts on this thread indicate that we will be addressing a widespread issue that causes regular on-course debate and disagreement.

salfordlad

Visit site
Sadly I seem to be swearing an awful lot at some of the things I am finding out on the course in recent months. Even the act of offering up constructive "criticism" is often taken the wrong way, as though your are slating everything the greekeeping staff do. On the whole they do a really good job under challenging conditions....but certain stuff just makes you want to scream out ....WHY????
It's a simple answer. Because the greens staff person that is capable of simultaneously merging the perspectives of agronomist, golfer and rules-aware person is about as common as the dodo bird.

hilsesp

Visit site
Sometimes keep a check on your local rules; The committee sometimes alter a local rule, changed while re-printing the score cards, and keeping your eye on this can sometimes lead to a pleasant surprise. i.e. Paths and Immovable Obstructions.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sometimes keep a check on your local rules; The committee sometimes alter a local rule, changed while re-printing the score cards, and keeping your eye on this can sometimes lead to a pleasant surprise. i.e. Paths and Immovable Obstructions.
hello and welcome

Please be careful about commenting on Rules threads dated before January this year as the the rules were revised for January this year and mistakes can be made.