Pat Sharp axed. Have we lost the ability to take a joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Whether his comments are viewed as funny or not is very subjective, but where has Pat Sharp been living for the last 20 or 30 years? In isolation in a cave? He’s in the entertainment business for pity’s sake, and must know that if you come out with comments like that, especially in front of an audience of 400 people, it is only ever going to end badly.

I’m stunned that anyone is remotely surprised that this has cost him dear.

This all day long and what surprises me is that Kyle Walker gets his Todger out after what has gone off with Mendy and Greenwood and he still thinks it is ok. Some people are born thick. However when it comes to “ comedy” one man’s hilarity is another man’s tumble weed.

Swango1980

Visit site
You think that making demeaning remarks about people with blond hair is funny? It's a short journey from there to racism and misogyny, a journey that you have, perhaps, unkowningly already made.
Blonde jokes are fair game, unless it is about a blonde female I think.

Ginger jokes on the other hand, don't go there.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Maybe comedy shows should come with ‘health warnings,’ like a packet of cigarettes. Then the choice becomes do I go to the show, and risk being ‘smoked,’ or not go. That way those that like that sort of thing get to go, and those that don’t, don’t go and don’t get offended.

If a trip to the cinema comes with a U, PG, 18 rating why can’t comedy shows?

I don’t like edgy comedy because I care about my better half’s feelings. I might grimace at something offensive for 2 reasons, 1) it might just be not to my taste, and 2) it might offend the person I took with me.

Laughing at the shock of something isn’t laughing at the humour, it’s laughing embarrassingly. But I wouldn’t dream of wanting to curtail someone else’s freedom of choice.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Hobbit in this instance it was an industry awards evening, not an edgy comedy event. I agree with you, if you go to see Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr, Chubby Brown etc then don't complain about being outraged, that's their thing. I doubt the person booking Sharp expected this though.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
@Hobbit in this instance it was an industry awards evening, not an edgy comedy event. I agree with you, if you go to see Frankie Boyle, Jimmy Carr, Chubby Brown etc then don't complain about being outraged, that's their thing. I doubt the person booking Sharp expected this though.

And in this instance the guy was an idiot, and whatever comes his way in cancelled booking etc, he deserves. Maybe venue/event contracts need tighter T&C’s. I’m sure if a contract included penalties for crossing lines, artists might watch their behaviour.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Unless you confuse Alan with Jimmy like my wife’s friend did 😂

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I sense that most times someone (especially if not a known comedian) tells a joke; makes comments or shows vids, such as that made by Sharp, the intent is more about boosting or promoting the ‘self’ of the teller than about amusing others. I don’t play along, indeed I’ll often make clear that I don’t find such stuff funny. If that makes me considered a bore or a grinch then so be it.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Going off on a tangent, something is oldies are good at, I had a conversation with Mrs Hobbit a couple of years back - we don’t talk often. Seriously though, it was about the things men say, especially when other men are around. And we also spoke about the glass ceiling women experience in the work place.

I thought I had a fair handle on what goes on, what isn’t acceptable and how hard the work place can be for them. There was no hysteria etc, just a calm objective conversation. I was truly shocked. I would thoroughly recommend every man, if they’re in the least bit open minded, have a similar conversation.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
we haven’t lost the ability to take a joke, just apparently it matters if your offended by some words. Might as well not speak to people and just go straight to punching them in the face to make the hassle worth while.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Please don’t tempt me 🙄

I'm fairly sure that your authority only extends to issuing infractions and bans. I may be wrong but I don't think that GM would encourage you to turn up on forum member's doorsteps, punch them and then walk away. Then again, with some of the posts on here maybe it wouldn't be discouraged. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.