Past Champions

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Some say they've earnt their spot, I say they are depriving others of a spot. Looking at the leader board already, Darren Clarke, David Duval, Sandy Lyle, all chapping about taking up a slot, exactly the same at The Masters, about time things changed me thinks...

D

Deleted member 23270

I'm pretty sure it did change. Wasn't it a lifetime exemption at one point, now changed to age 60?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The masters is an invitational. Any past winners there aren’t taking anyone’s spot.

Amateurs also get spots as well as many of qualifiers who clearly aren’t the worlds best. Shall we boot them out too?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Some say they've earnt their spot, I say they are depriving others of a spot. Looking at the leader board already, Darren Clarke, David Duval, Sandy Lyle, all chapping about taking up a slot, exactly the same at The Masters, about time things changed me thinks...

100% with you. Sandy Lyle is a hero but he's had his day. Let a younger pro have a chance to play in the worlds greatest Major.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perhaps it should be limited to 10 after you won. I must admit it is sad at times to check the bottom end of the leaderboard and see formerly great names like Clarke down there on +9. Having sad that it was only 7 years ago he won it, Christ. :lol:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think we have wires crossed. My point was that the previous winners being at Augusta stops nobody else qualifying as they are set aside spots. They aren’t at the expense of anyone.

The argument there would be that if those spots were not set aside for past champions then they could be offered to other golfers. We are into semantics to an extent but if the field is going to be 100 golfers taken from pot 1, pot 2, pot 3 etc then removing some from the pot of ex champions leaves space to offer more spots to people from another pot. Does that make sense? I get it but I may not have explained it very well.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The argument there would be that if those spots were not set aside for past champions then they could be offered to other golfers. We are into semantics to an extent but if the field is going to be 100 golfers taken from pot 1, pot 2, pot 3 etc then removing some from the pot of ex champions leaves space to offer more spots to people from another pot. Does that make sense? I get it but I may not have explained it very well.

I get what you’re saying. But Augusta have no official set limit in regards to numbers. This year I think was the smallest field due to previous winners stopping playing. They had no intention of allowing more from pot 2, 3 or 4 etc.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just to think we may have missed seeing Tom Watson with his chance of adding to his tally had the limits been more severe

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you think Tom Watson deprived someone of a spot in 2009 when he was a past champion

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Tom Watson was a rare exception lets be honest and who is to say another player that may have taken his place wouldnt have given us the same entertainment?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Tom Watson was a rare exception lets be honest and who is to say another player that may have taken his place wouldnt have given us the same entertainment?

If we take out all the past winners and say free up 10 spaces, then that’s 10 spaces added to the bottom of the field. How often do the lowest ranked golfers actually win a major?

D

Deleted member 15344

No one because the reason why it was such entertainment was because it was Tom Watson

I also think Els was only able to play in 2012 on the back of previously winning it

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah you are right, think I will change my mind.
Is that allowed on here?

Sorry I’m afraid not - did you not read the rules ?

You must stick with that opinion and defend where possible - enjoy :D

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally wouldn’t have a problem with making this a 10 year exemption or having a stipulation that they have to make a few cuts in pro events in the year prior to the Open to keep their exemption valid.

US Open is a 10 year exemption, meaning a certain Tiger Woods will have to qualify next year through one of the various routes (top 50 in the world rankings being more likely method).

Although we we all know they’d give him a special exemption if he didn’t make it.