Par 5s, Start and Finish

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My course starts with a par 5 hole, which has always struck me as a bit mean, but it also finishes with one too. Does anyone else play on a course with par 5 hole first and last?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My last course did, first was really a glorified par 4, less than 500 yards down the prevailing wind and downhill into the green, starting with a 6 always felt like opening with a double. Last was a much better par 5 where youd happily take 5 most days

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Find that best way to start. A 6 there doesn't feel a massive loss but par is easily one to go after

My old course was par 3 start and finish which was blooming tough

D

Deleted member 1418

Hopefully BiM will be along at some point to highlight his course's start! Opening 3 holes work out to be the longest in Surrey I believe.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The Zoo has a par 5 to start and finish
Neither particularly long, neither particularly tricky as long as the ball is in play...
Both very straightforward bogeys for most standards of player..
Don't think made the 1st in 2 as it's quite a sharp dog leg so mainly hit 3w off the tee to leave well over 200 to the green
Eagled the 18th twice.
I didnt get a shot on either.....:rolleyes:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
504yds 1st and 496yds last. But neither a dawdle for most of us and birdies not that common - especially on the last as long blond second shot. Hitting into a slope on first means green is not reachable in two for the majority And second shot is through a gap between stands of mature trees. And last is a slight dogleg right and played tonwards a gap between stands of mature trees - so easy to be in trees one side or shut out the other.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
My course had a par 5 start and finish until about three years ago when they reworked it.

The first usually played as the hardest hole in competitions. 580 yards, OB all down the right, two ponds and a sloping green, coming off with a 6 was an achievement.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't like par 5s and I am a very high handicapper.

We start 4-4-4-3 and we come in 5-4-3-5
I like the start a lot more than I like the finish. I can't hit GIR on a par 5, at least I didn't in winter. Will see this week if I can now.

D

Deleted member 1147

We start with a par 5, except off ghe blues, when it’s a par 4.
18th is a long uphill par 4.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My course starts with a par 5 hole, which has always struck me as a bit mean, but it also finishes with one too. Does anyone else play on a course with par 5 hole first and last?
I used to - at Mill Ride.
Great starting hole - as are many/most Par 5 1sts. For those who haven't warmed up it's an 'easy' intro; for those who have, and get their drive near/past the road, it's a definite Birdie (or even Eagle) chance (but with danger too). 18 is another (though monster off the back tees) risk/reward Par 5 hole that I have eagled a couple of times (off the 'normal tees where I could get past the hill/black hole bunker). Risk element involves with watery grave or trees/junk potential, but a great (or certainly memorable) finishing hole!

Current course starts with (an evil) Par 3 and finishes with a Par 4 - that I play as a Par 5. Both virtually surounded by water!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Par 5s are tough for higher handicaps, and easy for lower ones. It depends where you sit on the spectrum.
Are any holes easy for higher handicaps?
I just don't see that getting a par on a par 5 can be harder than any par 3 or 4.
I'm regularly par or under for the 3 5s on my course. Never like that on the par 3s.