Par 3 block

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm having a bit of trouble on 2 par 3s on my home club the 13th and 17th, both play 134 yards from the middle tees it's an 8i for me but on they two holes I come up short even with a 7i and if I club up to my 6i I blow right through both of them, any body have a similar issue or advice as to why and what I can do

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm having a bit of trouble on 2 par 3s on my home club the 13th and 17th, both play 134 yards from the middle tees it's an 8i for me but on they two holes I come up short even with a 7i and if I club up to my 6i I blow right through both of them, any body have a similar issue or advice as to why and what I can do
Exactly my problem last Sunday but the green is protected with a raised bank and 2 front bunkers so it has to carry 130 plus yards and stop.most players hit a 6i with a high fade especially in these cold blustery days

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Might be the old "club up, but then take some off it because you know you clubbed up".

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I done that today 3 balls 7,8, then 6, 6 landed on the green others were short landed the same place, its definitely some type of mental block on they two holes as I hit that distance from the fairway regularly

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I done that today 3 balls 7,8, then 6, 6 landed on the green others were short landed the same place, its definitely some type of mental block on they two holes as I hit that distance from the fairway regularly
As iainp says club up to take some off is easier than belting the right iron for the yardage plus you have to contend with more backspin which makes it come up short

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I get a lot of height in my shots, I think I'm hitting to high on the face and its popping up and losing distance, whether off the deck I'm hitting lower and making that distance, it's only when I tee up I'm short, im going to experiment a little on tee height, without tee ect and see if I can sort it out

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get a lot of height in my shots, I think I'm hitting to high on the face and its popping up and losing distance, whether off the deck I'm hitting lower and making that distance, it's only when I tee up I'm short, im going to experiment a little on tee height, without tee ect and see if I can sort it out
Try not using a tee if you hit your irons ok of the deck

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Thats what I'm going to try tomorrow when im up, ill no doubt play a few balls in different lies and tees and see what the results are

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our 6th is a real nemsis for me with OOB very tight right and then OOB left as well (but more room). There is room beyond the trees right if you can carry it far enough but also very deep rough so finding it and playing a shot not a given. I can go right and also suddenly hit it left to right big time from nowhere and definitely in my head. Into the wind it plays about 180-185 and so should be a smooth hybrid. I can play the opening five tidily and then chuck a car crash in. No idea what caused it and working extra hard to give myself positive feelings and swing smoother still

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

I don't think there's an easy fix to this. I've had previous mental block with just hitting greens in the past.

We've got a tough par 3 at ours (4th). Similar distance as yours but a very narrow green with bunkers right and left... meaning it is a tricky shot if you miss right or left (whether in bunkers or not).

My strategy is to take an 8 iron (regardless of where the pin is). Ball in back of the stance (but careful not to lean forward) and try and make a good committed swing. If I hit a good one - there's a fair chance of it getting onto the green, but if I don't quite catch it then it's much easier up and down from short of the green. Also forces me to play a full and committed shot, rather than trying to finesse something - which I feel has more chance of going left or right.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
How old are your clubs and have you ever thought about getting the loft and lies checked?

Other than that, get to the gym ya great big pussy. I'm a wedge at your 17th!

😜

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
How old are your clubs and have you ever thought about getting the loft and lies checked?

Other than that, get to the gym ya great big pussy. I'm a wedge at your 17th!

😜
About 2 year old the wilson staff c200 new, I'm thinking of doing that now I'm actually wanting a new set, since I first posted iv been experimenting with the 13th and its definitely something in my head hit 10 balls with my 7i 5 landed on the green and 3 were 20y short and 2 front bunker, so i hat my 8i and almost exactly the same results had to move on after that,

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you think you could be steering a little bit? instead of fully releasing?
Could be, I think I'm trying to help the ball up as it's an elevated green and not hitting it correctly I can make that distance just not on they holes the 13th especially

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
About 2 year old the wilson staff c200 new, I'm thinking of doing that now I'm actually wanting a new set, since I first posted iv been experimenting with the 13th and its definitely something in my head hit 10 balls with my 7i 5 landed on the green and 3 were 20y short and 2 front bunker, so i hat my 8i and almost exactly the same results had to move on after that,

C300 are a fantastic price

Just saying.....