Pain in lower back

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I've been doing some serious practise this last couple of weeks.
Played a full comp on Saturday, went back up to the course for a knock on Sunday too.

Now got a bit of an ache in my lower back.

Generally my address posture is spot on. Do you think the lower back pain cold be due to bad swing practise (I have been overswinging, currently addressing that problem) I am also guilty of not committing to the shot fully and sometimes get stuck behind the ball, resulting in thin and fat shots. (Again, this is undergoing rectification)
Just wondered if my overswinging could be straining my lower back.

Any ideas?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As someone who had a real bad problem a few weeks ago I feel your pain. I hit a shot on the 2nd in a medal and got a shooting pain in the lower part of the back and through my right buttock. Thought sciateca but turned out to be muscular. It might just be a slight strain but if it gets worse then could be worth getting checked out

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It could be as a result of over swinging. Basically your lower back should be stable and your thoracic (mid back) do the rotation. So if your thoracic is a bit tight and your lumbar (lower back) a bit weak then the lumbar tries to help the thoracic and starts to rotate more than it really is designed to do.

This can also be a weakness in the glutes and/or tightness in the hips. The golf swing isn't easy on the body with the amount of twist and torque so sometimes just more golf than it's used to can cause some pain.

I usually take ibuprofen and ice areas that get a bit sore.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm someone who also suffers with back issues, but I was lucky enough to find a chiropractor who plays off 10, my back issues were/are caused by not enough hip turn amungst other issues, I'd get
A lesson as I'd bet the issue is technique related

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Homer will be able to tell you what a root 6" behind yoru ball does when you hit the root instead of the ball - happened to me on the 4th of the Dukes at Woburn last week. I ended up in a lot of pain (i've always had a bad back) .
What was quite "funny" was that when the pain reduced from its peak about 3 holes later, i realised that i had sprained my little finger of my right hand but hadnt felt it up til then

Voltarol cream is your best friend

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have back problems and if I don't do the excercises set by my physio in addition to full stretching warm up excercises before playing overswinging can reap havoc.

My advice and it has payed off very well for me, is to swing smoothly and work on your tempo and ball striking. You'll stay on the fairway more often and you'll achieve the same distance with less effort

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've been doing some serious practise this last couple of weeks.
Played a full comp on Saturday, went back up to the course for a knock on Sunday too.

Now got a bit of an ache in my lower back.

Generally my address posture is spot on. Do you think the lower back pain cold be due to bad swing practise (I have been overswinging, currently addressing that problem) I am also guilty of not committing to the shot fully and sometimes get stuck behind the ball, resulting in thin and fat shots. (Again, this is undergoing rectification)
Just wondered if my overswinging could be straining my lower back.

Any ideas?

I'm 25 so not sure how much use this will be but I used to get this occasionally at the range and once on the course.

My mates a personal trainer and said for myself the reason is because my core including lower back is weak or tired after a workout. Same with any muscle group they need rest after being used with high effort.

Since I've been training harder especially around my core I've not experienced any more little twinges. I do lots of ab exercises and the plank. Can manage a few minutes of that beauty now :)

Mine killed when I did it a few times though so I sympathise with your agony.

Best strecth I can suggest it to stand upright and join your hand together infront of you, then raise them above your head and then slowly lower them behind your head. When they're down as far as they will go tilt your head back and you'll feel your lower back muscles stretching. *** The first few times I did this I felt quite light headed so just be careful ***