Over the top swing

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Does an over the top swing contribute to the problem of hitting fat and thin shots or is it usually something completely different?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hit fats and thins because I drop my right shoulder, I am currently using the pump drill and a swingyde to hit the ball first then the ground.

My swing was very close to being good, I just needed to change from dropping my right shoulder and coming in too shallow to to linking my hip turn to squaring the club and coming in steeper from the inside. After that I could attack from the inside, hit the ball out right and bring it back to target.

Amazing how it helped every shot from pitches through to the driver.

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I hit fats and thins because I drop my right shoulder, I am currently using the pump drill and a swingyde to hit the ball first then the ground.

My swing was very close to being good, I just needed to change from dropping my right shoulder and coming in too shallow to to linking my hip turn to squaring the club and coming in steeper from the inside. After that I could attack from the inside, hit the ball out right and bring it back to target.

Amazing how it helped every shot from pitches through to the driver.

Saw some pump drill videos this morning on YouTube so I'm going to give that a go and see if it works? That swingyde may help me as well as I have a massive over swing in my backswing.

Just rang up to book a lesson for this week and found out the instructor I used last summer is away for a couple of weeks so I'm going to have to try some of these drills and hope they work as I'm a little reluctant to see a different instructor :(

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does an over the top swing contribute to the problem of hitting fat and thin shots or is it usually something completely different?
My fats & thins are caused by not transferring my weight forward enough or too late
Fats are also often caused by casting & thins as I said lack of weight transfer

These problems I find can be lessened by having a smooth tempo with a brief pause before you swing down, this gives you time to get the weight moving forward and turning

I find to correct an OTT swing is to aim at a point on the ball at about 7 o'clock ( if you're right handed ) and swing through on that line without your left arm breaking, also keep the inner top part of your left arm attached to the chest pec muscle until contact

It could be a flying right elbow, which is too far behind you, try keeping the top part of your arm more in line with your body

These are the the things my pro hammered into me a long time ago

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fat and thin shots are usually because the low point of the swing is not consistent.

You can still transfer your weight properly and suffer fat and thin shots, if you have too much hip slide towards the target instead of turning.

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fat and thin shots are usually because the low point of the swing is not consistent.

You can still transfer your weight properly and suffer fat and thin shots, if you have too much hip slide towards the target instead of turning.
Agreed, inconsistent low point can be caused by numerous flaws, I was only pointing out basic, well documented methods of the swing back and through

To mention too many in between issues might confuse and too much to sink in for grogger

I could have mentioned flaws such as straightening the back leg on downswing, collapsing the front arm, looking up too early, ball placed too far left or right or too close or too far away

The list goes on which is why we always want to keep coming back to achieve perfection

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Seems an over the top swing is the least of my worries :(

Just been to the range and hit 100 balls. Out of the 100 I hit I can hand on heart say that only 3 were of a decent standard! 3!!!!!!!!!!!

Booked an assessment with the pro for Saturday. Hopefully I can sort this out as I'm on the verge of completely packing the game in altogether! There's not much enjoyment in not improving!

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Seems an over the top swing is the least of my worries :(

Just been to the range and hit 100 balls. Out of the 100 I hit I can hand on heart say that only 3 were of a decent standard! 3!!!!!!!!!!!

Booked an assessment with the pro for Saturday. Hopefully I can sort this out as I'm on the verge of completely packing the game in altogether! There's not much enjoyment in not improving!
What were your misses, were they fat and thins, if they were try one get out of jail method. Start with 60% on your front foot, start the backswing without any weight to the back foot but increase weight to the front foot, at the start of the downswing you should already have 85-90% on the front foot. This is the stack & tilt method that a lot of players use when their normal game is off
Hope this helps

Grogger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What were your misses, were they fat and thins, if they were try one get out of jail method. Start with 60% on your front foot, start the backswing without any weight to the back foot but increase weight to the front foot, at the start of the downswing you should already have 85-90% on the front foot. This is the stack & tilt method that a lot of players use when their normal game is off
Hope this helps

Yeah fat shots, thin shots and shanks! Absolutely terrible. Just have no confidence when I'm stood over the ball.

Ill try that drill you've mentioned and see how it goes, cheers

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yeah fat shots, thin shots and shanks! Absolutely terrible. Just have no confidence when I'm stood over the ball.

Ill try that drill you've mentioned and see how it goes, cheers
Ok, but remember when transferring your weight not to let your hips go with it and keep your head where it was at address
The swing is a pivotal movement so everything just revolves around your spine also make sure you let your hips turn on the back & downswings which is the source of power. Try not to get too "armsy"

Last edited: