Over-rated Bands / Musicians

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't think of many better.
I think Dave Gilmour always wanted to try and better the Comfortably Numb solo and, IMO, gave solid efforts on the next two released albums (Momentary Lapse of Reason and then Division Bell) with the tracks Sorrow and High Hopes. Both have outro solos that are, equally and in their own rights, superb.

The overall guitar work on Sorrow shades it for me and might be my favourite Gilmour solo*;
00:00 - 02:20 for the intro solo and then 06:36 - 10:24 for the outro.

*Caveat that I'm only referring to solos within a song. As I think my favourite overall track is One of These Days which is all solo :).

On the "over rated" argument, I think Floyd's longevity and cross generational appeal exposes that as someone on Youtube whoring for views by being "controversial". Their early work up to, probably Ummagumma was... interesting to say the least. It wasn't until DSOTM that they really found their "famous feet", hindered by the narcissism and clear parental issues of Roger Waters.

Momentary Lapse and Division Bell, for me, are more lyrically and thematically strong than many of Water's efforts (which were by and large self insertion pieces) and deal with more mature themes such as loyalty, betrayal, aging, progression and, ultimately, acceptance and inner peace of the things that can't be changed. MLOR got some Water's fan backlash as it was the first original release since he left and so, IMO, was unfairly derided.

But hey, as Robster pointed out, that's all with a huge dose of IMHO as that's just exactly what it is. But having seen them live, I cannot say in any way, shape or form that I found them over-rated.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think a lot of people don't understand or appreciate the impact The Beatles had on music. They were doing things in the 60's nobody else (apart from Brian Wilson) were trying. Nowadays it may sound old hat, but back then it was ground breaking.
But, this is a thread about opinions.

Absolutely spot on.

After their first few hits they started to release their own compositions and , as you say, they were ground-breaking. We would eagily await their new releases which invariably would go straight to number one in the charts on the day of release, in an era when millions of record sales were needed to to reach number one. Their writing might sound old and outdated now, but it certainly didn't in the 60's and 70's.

RichA

Visit site
I listened to The Beatles a lot as a kid in the early 80s when I first got into music and didn't know much. Nowadays, I don't feel they did that much in the 60s that Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry and Fats Domino hadn't already done - they just made it more English boy band poppy for the era. Then they introduced the narcotic weirdness that finished them off as a band. They each ended up producing their own middle of the road mundaneness.
In my opinion.

Crumplezone

Visit site
Ed Sheeran
I would agree, but I think anyone who actually likes music can see the awfulness through the wafer thin veneer of some of his songs being vaguely catchy.

Whether they're to your taste or not, people forget how innovative the Beatles were. They changed pop and rock music forever and invented at least 5 genres of music in the process. Not everything they did was great but it was mostly completely unique and they came up with it all themselves.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I listened to The Beatles a lot as a kid in the early 80s when I first got into music and didn't know much. Nowadays, I don't feel they did that much in the 60s that Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry and Fats Domino hadn't already done - they just made it more English boy band poppy for the era. Then they introduced the narcotic weirdness that finished them off as a band. They each ended up producing their own middle of the road mundaneness.
In my opinion.
You say that but you are unfortunately incorrect. The Beatles led the way, doesn't mesn you need to like them though, just don't dilute their achievements because you don't like them, something most people do about anything they don't like.

RichA

Visit site
You say that but you are unfortunately incorrect. The Beatles led the way, doesn't mesn you need to like them though, just don't dilute their achievements because you don't like them, something most people do about anything they don't like.
Neither of us is correct or incorrect. We just have differing opinions on a subjective topic.
I'm not saying they weren't great; I think they were. I just feel they have historically received a lot of credit for "inventing" styles of music that they didn't. For me that makes them overrated.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Neither of us is correct or incorrect. We just have differing opinions on a subjective topic.
I'm not saying they weren't great; I think they were. I just feel they have historically received a lot of credit for "inventing" styles of music that they didn't. For me that makes them overrated.
But they did invent new styles and moved music forwared in ways tyou say they didn't. that's not a difference of opinion it's a difference of fact

RichA

Visit site
But they did invent new styles and moved music forwared in ways tyou say they didn't. that's not a difference of opinion it's a difference of fact
Already said I think they were great; I just don't think they were the greatest. That is an opinion.
What styles of music did they invent, other than boy band?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
[Re. The Beatles] But they did invent new styles and moved music forwared in ways tyou say they didn't. that's not a difference of opinion it's a difference of fact
Well yes they did, but in any ranking of the greatness of bands, there is a dogma that The Beatles are obviously #1, when perhaps there have been others who have been equally innovative and influential. Nobody is allowed to consider any other band worthy of the top spot.

It is similar to the dogma that Hendrix is the greatest guitarist that ever lived, and noone ever dares challenge it. As it happens, I was listening to some Hendrix the other day, and you know what? Yes, he was good and his music is very enjoyable, but if you think about his guitar playing in an objective way, there have been shedloads of better guitarists, not just technically but also artistically.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well yes they did, but in any ranking of the greatness of bands, there is a dogma that The Beatles are obviously #1, when perhaps there have been others who have been equally innovative and influential. Nobody is allowed to consider any other band worthy of the top spot.

It is similar to the dogma that Hendrix is the greatest guitarist that ever lived, and noone ever dares challenge it. As it happens, I was listening to some Hendrix the other day, and you know what? Yes, he was good and his music is very enjoyable, but if you think about his guitar playing in an objective way, there have been shedloads of better guitarists, not just technically but also artistically.

Hendrix himself was asked, "What's it like to be the best guitarist in the world?"

His answer was, "I dunno, ask Rory Gallagher."

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Hendrix himself was asked, "What's it like to be the best guitarist in the world?"

His answer was, "I dunno, ask Rory Gallagher."
I saw Rory Gallagher live, but not Hendrix.
Both really good and I like them both.
Both very over-rated as well.

Glen Campbell was easily equal to them as a guitarist, but not over-rated.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I saw Rory Gallagher live, but not Hendrix.
Both really good and I like them both.
Both very over-rated as well.

Glen Campbell was easily equal to them as a guitarist, but not over-rated.

I saw Gallagher at Lancaster Uni in ‘77. He was a good, competent guitarist but he didn’t blow me away. 20 mins in and I was bored.