Out of bounds post missing

Charlie_B1981

Medal Winner
Visit site
So today in our group a player hit the ball into the some trees at the back of a green, given as OB without question. But when we approached the ball there was only one OB stake along that line, they used to be there and can only assume someone's moved/stolen them.
I thought it should still be OB as it was a couple of feet past the first post meaning if there was another it'd be in the middle of the woods for it to be in play, and it was clearly past where OB has always been.
Opponent thought it's in bounds as the OB line cannot be determined.

Any thoughts?
Worth noting this was in a club comp.

Charlie_B1981

Medal Winner
Visit site
Cheers, just the ones I was searching for. Interesting that they always reference speaking to the committee who can take action, which realistically on the course during play won't happen

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Bur 3-3 is available.

Or 2-5 in match play.

Always wondered how a successful use of this would play out if I were to make a claim where the penalty to the opponent would be loss of hole and I had lost the match 2&1 for example. Never heard of the procedure being implemented, just that it exists.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always wondered how a successful use of this would play out if I were to make a claim where the penalty to the opponent would be loss of hole and I had lost the match 2&1 for example. Never heard of the procedure being implemented, just that it exists.
You hadn't lost the match as the committee had not ruled on your claim. You could have played out to the point where the result was unambiguous and then report to the committee or get the ruling and return to the 18th and resume the match.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You hadn't lost the match as the committee had not ruled on your claim. You could have played out to the point where the result was unambiguous and then report to the committee or get the ruling and return to the 18th and resume the match.

I do understand that this is correct but I just wonder how it will work in reality. My club, like most often don't have any committee members around when comps are on, rarely have any committee members who have an inkling of rules (let alone the complex ones) and the usual pro shop who will give their opinion of a rule but would often be wrong.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The better option is to continue until a decisive result has been achieved and check with the committee when they become available. If that would take you into extra holes and you don't want to continue, stop at 18, find the committee when you can and continue on another day if necessary.