Opens this year?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We enter a variety of opens throughout the year which include seniors, 3 man and 4 man Texas scrambles etc. So far we are playing -

Trump Aberdeen
Balbirnie x 2
Dalmahoy
Dunbar
Ratho
Monktonhall
Kingussie

When did you last at Kingussie? I always enjoyed Kingussie but someone told me that they were really struggling now and the course wasn't as good which would be a shame.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it generally acceptable to sign up to the opens as a single player? Will they just find you a partner/group etc.

I’m really keen to play a few in my local area.

Lots of individual comps to play out there.
I enter any that fall on a day that my club has any non qualifying comps on.
Played with many that do the same and met some decent chaps.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always play in these opens as a single. They pair you up without any problem. It’s good meeting and playing with new people. Only once have I ever played with someone I didn’t get on with but he had a nightmare start and withdrew with a bad thumb after 5 holes in a 36 hole Comp. Bless him.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So far I have Eyemouth this Saturday.
Goswick in April.
Kingussie and the Boat in August.
I'll also enter a few of the local ones.
Might look to head up to Blairgowrie and maybe Dundonald as I've been meaning to play there for a while.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always play in these opens as a single. They pair you up without any problem. It’s good meeting and playing with new people. Only once have I ever played with someone I didn’t get on with but he had a nightmare start and withdrew with a bad thumb after 5 holes in a 36 hole Comp. Bless him.

Yes- I've never had a problem with anyone I've played with, other than one who I thought was a complete cheat. Good company from all the rest.

I remember putting a decent start together at the Loudoun Open a few years ago and had 14 points after 6 holes. I was out with a member of Loudoun who bought me a beer at the wee hut after the 6th. Sank it very quickly on a lovely warm day and went double, double, double.

Everyone playing in these things are in the same boat- love golf, and happy to chat away. I've never played with anyone who takes it really serious.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
That's me managed to get into Royal Aberdeen Open. Paid and tee time confirmed. Roll on 15th September.

Oh and £50 admission an absolute steal!!!!

🏌️

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
When did you last at Kingussie? I always enjoyed Kingussie but someone told me that they were really struggling now and the course wasn't as good which would be a shame.

I played Kingussie in September last year and it was it good knick really friendly clubhouse.

Played Tain and Brora so far this year maybe throw in Cullen in May but joining another club so might not play anymore

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I played Kingussie in September last year and it was it good knick really friendly clubhouse.

Played Tain and Brora so far this year maybe throw in Cullen in May but joining another club so might not play anymore

each to their own, but i don't think its a very good course or lay out, i wouldn't drive from my house to play it let alone from down south

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
just looked a bit different thats all ,not worth a trip then Patrick ?
just don't think much of it TBH.
Moray do a fair few opens and do Nairn Dunbar, Spey Valley had one last weekend £20 and Hopeman isn't bad.

the Dornoch one in September is a good one round on each for £50 ish well worth it The Struie is underrated

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes- I've never had a problem with anyone I've played with, other than one who I thought was a complete cheat. Good company from all the rest.

I remember putting a decent start together at the Loudoun Open a few years ago and had 14 points after 6 holes. I was out with a member of Loudoun who bought me a beer at the wee hut after the 6th. Sank it very quickly on a lovely warm day and went double, double, double.

Everyone playing in these things are in the same boat- love golf, and happy to chat away. I've never played with anyone who takes it really serious.
Stick to the beers mate, leave the doubles to me :love:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve got the Easter Open at Saunton booked so far. Will add on a few I am sure when LQ fancies them

Last year I was busy for the Bideford Bay Foresomes, forgot about it and just realised it's this weekend. Must remember to enter is next year. £80 per pair, Saturday 1 round at Saunton, Sunday 1 round at RND

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Islay trip completed in 3 days of glorious Scottish sunshine...… well worth the 9hr trip.... will try & get some piccies the right size to up-load. Our Gross results were better than Nett.

Attachments

• GROSS-RESULT.pdf
    160.4 KB · Views: 12

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Every year I have good intentions on playing Opens and every year I manage to play in just one or two.

I've had a look on Golf Empire and have made arrangements to play the following so far:

1/6/19: Loudoun Gowf Club (£10)
22/6/19: Largs GC (£15)
29/6/19: Bolton Old Links 4BBB (£17.50)
7/7/19: Eastwood GC (£12)
27/7/19: Bonnyton GC (£12)
11/8/19: Southerness GC (£15)
18/8/19: Cochrane Castle GC (£14)

Such a cheap and effective way to play some old favourites and some new courses.

What's on your agenda away from your home club this year?

You can sack Eastwood from your itinerary.

RIP