Opens this year?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can someone explain this to me please? I assume an 'Open' is basically an 'away' match but how do you enter them and where do you find the details?

Thanks
If you google Golf Empire it comes up with a whole host of Opens at clubs around the country. They are a way of playing a course at a lower price than a normal green fee in a fun competition. Alternatively they are a way of playing another course at a discounted rate and winning some prizes. How you see it is up to you. I see it as the former and enjoy myself with friends and playing partners. The most popular format is 4BBB but all is explained when you click on each club / competition.

I'm playing Castle Eden in May. I've only heard good things about it and it is costing me £10. Bargain.

D

Deleted member 25172

Playing a comp at Prince's on the bank holiday Monday 6th May.

18 holes warm up round on Sunday + accommodation in their lodges, 36 holes competition on Monday including breakfast, light lunch and dinner = £130. There are prizes as well, but don't know what they are, and don't count on winning anything either, so.

Play one "casual" round at Prince's the same weekend = £105.

Now, that's a bargain.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Oddly enough you mention Golf empire. Played Nottingjamshire today and one of the lads put me onto it. Looks an excellent site.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing a comp at Prince's on the bank holiday Monday 6th May.

18 holes warm up round on Sunday + accommodation in their lodges, 36 holes competition on Monday including breakfast, light lunch and dinner = £130. There are prizes as well, but don't know what they are, and don't count on winning anything either, so.

Play one "casual" round at Prince's the same weekend = £105.

Now, that's a bargain.
What time are you off?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Me and my mate are off at 8:20. It’ll be my first ever competition outside the club, so will be interesting to see how serious people take this. :)
Opens are Taken very seriously. However, I still always have a good time and have made a number of mates across the country having met them in scratch events

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have you seen Burnham has been moved?
Yeh, I had already entered so they emailed me to let me know. It works out better for me with the new date as it means I can qualify for my home club scratch knockout now. I’ve chosen to play B&B instead for the last 3 years.
Cheers for checking though.

D

Deleted member 25172

Opens are Taken very seriously. However, I still always have a good time and have made a number of mates across the country having met them in scratch events

Ouch! Oh well, it’ll be an experience and hopefully I can learn a thing or two during the day then. We’re off from the 10th, so guessing that means we’re starting with the Himalayas. Perhaps we’ll catch each other out on the course on the day!

Wolf

Visit site
Got a couple planned fairly close ish to home in lincolnshire at Gedney Hill, Boston and Market Rasen.

Really wanted to play in Woodhall Spa one but the dates don't fit due to family arrangements but see if I can change those.

Might also try and tie some dates on Kent Opens with trips back down south to see family..

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a few decent ones lined up, Moortown, West Lancs, Pleasington, Wallasey, Manchester as well as a few "lesser" courses. Hopefully will add so more decent ones

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We try and play at least one seniors open every week during the season. Very seldom book to far in advance we wait to see the forecast then call a day or so before, or just turn up and wait.
Nearly always get last minute times in seniors opens, some old codger will have popped his socks and his mates go to the funeral. :eek::ROFLMAO::devilish:

Pre booked a couple of non senior Golf Scotland 4 man texas scramble opens this year, hope i make them:eek:

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not many but my first of the year is Tain on the 30th March, then the low handicap Nairn Dunbar and the Fraser Gardner at Dornoch in Sept.

Also playing some Hickory opens.
Hopeman
Moray
Kilspindie Scottish
and Prob Rye for the British

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it generally acceptable to sign up to the opens as a single player? Will they just find you a partner/group etc.

I’m really keen to play a few in my local area.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it generally acceptable to sign up to the opens as a single player? Will they just find you a partner/group etc.

I don't know the answer to this but if not then it is always worth posting in the Arrange a Game section here stating which Open you fancy and when it is. You may get someone off the forum joining you to make up a 2 ball or even a 4 ball. I've done that before and it is a good way to meet some new people and play different courses.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

For singles open comps you just book and you'll be given a tee time usually along with 2 others.
For 4bbb and pairs comps you bring / have your own playing partner.

Most clubs usually require a handicap certificate or your CDU card .

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
We enter a variety of opens throughout the year which include seniors, 3 man and 4 man Texas scrambles etc. So far we are playing -

Trump Aberdeen
Balbirnie x 2
Dalmahoy
Dunbar
Ratho
Monktonhall
Kingussie