Opening the club face- chipping and bunkers

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
To get out of bunkers consistently, I open the club face and it goes well right. I have since adjusted my alignment, aiming well left of the flag and now my bunker shots go straight at the pin. Is this normal?

Further- people on here talk about opening the club face when chipping/pitching. I have yet to experiment with this, but should I adjust my aim accordingly?

drutz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On the chipping thread I mention I had a lesson and the Pro got me to open the club face from a bunker a little and aim left to compensate, so I guess it must be.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
To get out of bunkers consistently, I open the club face and it goes well right. I have since adjusted my alignment, aiming well left of the flag and now my bunker shots go straight at the pin. Is this normal?

Yes. That is where the clubface is pointing... at the pin.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
For longer bunker shots you don't have to open up so much, you can keep the face a bit more square, and your stance. Just ensure you take a ton of sand, the ball will pop out and run (hopefully at the pin!)

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
The best tips I can give for bunker play is to open stance, face and my one key tip. Don't try hit the ball out, slap the sand underneath the ball with the back of your wedge. This throws the ball out and lands nice and soft.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
The best tips I can give for bunker play is to open stance, face and my one key tip. Don't try hit the ball out, slap the sand underneath the ball with the back of your wedge. This throws the ball out and lands nice and soft.

I get good results by doing that. I would also add that if you're frustrated at landing in the bunker, then forget the ball and concentrate on imagining the sand a few inches behind the ball is someone you hate. Good shot, frustration gone.

SamQuirkePGA

Club Champion
www.samquirke.co.uk
The reason you'd open the club face to whatever degree in the bunker is to expose the bounce.
For short game shots opening the clubface is required only in special circumstances.
Again you would want to learn to use the bounce. Theres a good video on youtube with Ben Crane and James Sieckman.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Winter time use a low bounce ( 6 / 8 ) lob wedge and set up square

Wet compact sand will not work well with a SW and open face set up