Open Competition Prizes

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As I said above I’d partly counter that with two points 1 - it’s a full tee sheet for paying players for the club and 2 - certainly round here (Edinburgh and Lothians) any decent course is full to the brim with waiting lists so not sure they are strapped for cash
It wasn't that long ago that courses were closing and clubs were short of members.
We have just come through COVID when clubs had little income. We are almost certainly entering economic hard times.
I couldn't blame any club for trying to shore up its balance sheet right now.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Are Opens in the UK typically supported by sponsorship from local businesses etc ?

Very common here and it’ll often help to increase either the value of prizes or the ‘treats’ available on the day, so that more of the green fee stays with the club

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are Opens in the UK typically supported by sponsorship from local businesses etc ?

Very common here and it’ll often help to increase either the value of prizes or the ‘treats’ available on the day, so that more of the green fee stays with the club
Not in the NE of England. Mainly funded via entrance money, mostly in the form of vouchers to be used in the pro shop. The bigger prize pots/opens are different but I avoid those.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not in the NE of England. Mainly funded via entrance money, mostly in the form of vouchers to be used in the pro shop. The bigger prize pots/opens are different but I avoid those.

That's a surprise
I know sorting out sponsors can be a pain for whoever gets landed with the task but there's usually businesses that see opportunities for networking or brand/product promotions or just as a way to write off the (minimal) cost or even just get rid of old stock etc

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a surprise
I know sorting out sponsors can be a pain for whoever gets landed with the task but there's usually businesses that see opportunities for networking or brand/product promotions or just as a way to write off the (minimal) cost or even just get rid of old stock etc
What businesses provide prizes? I'm interested to know, genuinely, not being sarcastic, what would interest golfers. We mostly like to win golf gear and vouchers to spend on golf gear don't we? What do companies give you over there that makes sense for both them and the players?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What businesses provide prizes? I'm interested to know, genuinely, not being sarcastic, what would interest golfers. We mostly like to win golf gear and vouchers to spend on golf gear don't we? What do companies give you over there that makes sense for both them and the players?

No surprise I'm sure but booze & booze related companies are the (obvious) big ones :sneaky: (on course refreshments and as prizes, I won a £50 bottle of gin once:giggle:) The local ones are fantastic are putting their hands in their corporate pockets time and again
Any tourism hotel and all restaurants for a night away/ dinner for two/ wine tasting event etc etc
Investment and insurance companies are often popular for Hole In One 'cash' prize (Banks are popular sponsors too)
One company (meat suppliers) gave a half pig one year! (I think there was a years supply of Ben & Jerrys at that event too, it didn't last a week by the time it was shared out)
A jewelry chain put up some watches last year, another event had tablets/phones from an electronics retailer
A food retailer set up a stall and dished out their BBQ burgers etc at half way (jeez they were good and we shop there regularly) there was even a full cheese as a prize once
Companies running other sports/pastimes i.e catamaran day trips, scuba lessons, gym memberships, spas etc are always looking to increase their business awareness too and golfers fit into their catchment
I could go on... but there's lots outside of the pro shop vouchers or complimentary green fee (although these are very welcome)

Other companies (without suitable 'stock' give cash towards purchasing prizes to sponsor an event or even just a hole & get their brand on it

(as usual sponsorship is often a loss leader but most companies know that in advance)

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My club are hosting an AmAm (any combination of gents and ladies) on Friday, I have the pleasure of manning the registration desk for part of the day. The entrance fee per person is significantly less than the normal green fee, and even a little less than the member's guest fee. We are just about full from 8.00am to 4.00pm. The prize fund is around 30% of the total income from entries, so we will make a decent profit including increased revenue from bar and catering. We will hopefully be providing our visitors with an affordable and enjoyable day's golf regardless of whether they win a prize.

The vast majority of clubs around here have a number of Opens, I have played a few most years and have had fun every time even if I have played poorly. In my book everyone's a winner.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My club are hosting an AmAm (any combination of gents and ladies) on Friday, I have the pleasure of manning the registration desk for part of the day. The entrance fee per person is significantly less than the normal green fee, and even a little less than the member's guest fee. We are just about full from 8.00am to 4.00pm. The prize fund is around 30% of the total income from entries, so we will make a decent profit including increased revenue from bar and catering. We will hopefully be providing our visitors with an affordable and enjoyable day's golf regardless of whether they win a prize.

The vast majority of clubs around here have a number of Opens, I have played a few most years and have had fun every time even if I have played poorly. In my book everyone's a winner.
Yes I agree it’s about the day out.
That’s why I am against big prizes it just encourages pot hunters
Lots of small prizes yes ,but a new £400 driver no.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not bothered what the prize is for winning tbh, I just like the opportunity to play a quality course at a lower cost.

If I have to take a day off work to do it, then thats a choice I make. But I'll take a day off to play social games with people off here, so no reason not to do it for an open.