Online Banking... grrr

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Registered for this yesterday so I could just make a simple transaction to Fish for his hybrid- how hard could it be I thought... boy was I wrong

Firstly I had to wait till today to ring them as they 'needed to ask a few questions', fine I thought I can live with waiting a day, I then had to talk to an automated machine for about 10 minutes which was frustrating but just when I thought I was finished I got put on hold whilst I had to wait to talk to some customer service person who then asked all these questions which seemed fairly irrelevant as to working out who I was... fairly bored by this point but I thought at least when its done I can just log on and make the transfer, but oh no I need a user id, which despite the fact that they just told me they'd confirmed my identity, they weren't allowed to tell me it over the phone? So now I have to wait 3 days for some login details to arrive in the post!

Not impressed, rant over. :rant:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Speaking as an ex Bank manager. The whole point of the security surrounding Internet banking is that only you know the information available, therefore the log on details are computer generated and sent by post to your verified address, this is all part of the identification process.

If a member of staff read it out to you, then that is a potential security risk,

With My bank, I need to use a small machine that generates a unique code after inserting my card and pin

So to access my account, I need my log on details, my card, my pin and the code machine

This is necessary to protect your money, you'd soon shout if someone picked up a bank statement from your dustbin and used that information to convince your bank to part with your cash

It will be fine in a few days, in the meantime if you have Fish's bank details, you can pop along to a branch and fill in a paying in slip, hand over a card or cash and job done

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Feel your pain due to the bank staff putting in a wrong telephone number it took me nearly 2 weeks for our internet banking to pay Fish a while back ......

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
With My bank, I need to use a small machine that generates a unique code after inserting my card and pin

So to access my account, I need my log on details, my card, my pin and the code machine
Quite a good system, though not entirely portable. Mobile Telephone banking will/has introduce/d an entirely new set of problems to solve!

And the banking system has to be available in the first place - something that hasn't been particularly reliable recently!

Paypal has a 'Personal' portion that doesn't involve fees. Can be better than Bank Transfers and doesn't necessarily require internet banking.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Don't worry Ben, its all packed and ready to go for you. Do you need it for the weekend? If so I'm happy to send it anyway ;)

You want to try moving house and moving your telephone & broadband, would think its easy eh, 2 weeks now and still not live!

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Speaking as an ex Bank manager. The whole point of the security surrounding Internet banking is that only you know the information available, therefore the log on details are computer generated and sent by post to your verified address, this is all part of the identification process.

If a member of staff read it out to you, then that is a potential security risk,

This is necessary to protect your money, you'd soon shout if someone picked up a bank statement from your dustbin and used that information to convince your bank to part with your cash

It will be fine in a few days, in the meantime if you have Fish's bank details, you can pop along to a branch and fill in a paying in slip, hand over a card or cash and job done

100% agree.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It was excatly the same when I set up my on-line banking.

I wasn't in a rush to pay for anything mind you so I didn't mind the wait.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't worry Ben, its all packed and ready to go for you. Do you need it for the weekend? If so I'm happy to send it anyway ;)

You want to try moving house and moving your telephone & broadband, would think its easy eh, 2 weeks now and still not live!

Thanks for the patience mate :) I'm not in a mad hurry to receive it as my revision will be taking over my free time over the next few weeks as its exam season. My mum has just moved offices for her business and has tried to move the telephone and broadband and she's been told shes on a fixed contract, mutli line package, so she'll have to make some sort of payoff to move it despite the fact she only needs one line for her office... all I can say is BT are useless!

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

When you put it like that it makes total sense, just a bit frustrated I guess at the lack of available knowledge about the registration process on my banks website, had I known about going to a branch I would have done that but unfortunately I'll have to wait now as I have revision classes every day after school this week and by the time their finished the bank is shut :(