One rule for one ...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Funily enough this happened to my mate and i a couple of weeks ago in the medal.

It was a horrendous day with heavy rain and wind. we were moving along quite nicely and were half way up the 15th when we spotted a 4 ball cutting across from the 3rd to the 16th tee. We have the same rule here no cutting in unless the hole behind is clear... which it clearly wasn't. They then held us up for at least 10 mins on the 16th tee as it was into the wind their drives didn't even make the road and it was the same for 17 and 18. One of the guys is a committee member and when he saw it was us while they were on the 18th tee he came over and commented that were were playing fast what was the hurry!!!! my mate gave him both barrels..We had played 15 holes in under 2 and a half hours the last 3 too 45 mins.

I've written to the club but have yet to receive a reply

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Nine months ago me and four others turned up at the first tee, we were following X number of four balls and the next tee off time was half an hour after us. It took us five 30 mins to play the first two holes. Half way up the second which runs back towards the front tee we saw the fourball teeing up. We said right will drop into a two and three ball now. We were waiting on the third tee for five mins for the fairway to clear and I mentioned to the guys in the fourball behind we were dropping into a two and three ball. They never said owt.
Back in the clubhouse the pro came up to us and said "I don't wanna moan but, that fourball behind you five have been moaning about you five playing" we told him diplomatically what had happend and that we hadn't held them up.
The pro said, " on no account do you ever play in a five ball, it is a deffo no no". I said "no probs".

A couple of months later we were playing in a comp, another group came in and had a moan at the same pro that a five ball had gone all the way around the course. The pro said I know them and they are quick players. I just had to remind him that a five ball is a deffo no no. No matter who they are. He was not happy. But am like this. Rules are rules, except when it suits to some.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really interesting example this, very glad the OP raised it.

A good rule to have, sorts out disputes.

In this case it was broken but through common sense, it seems this is an occasion to break it for the benefit of all.

Who broke it is really interesting, as said before this could come back to haunt the committee as it’s evidence they flout their own rules, common sense defence of not.

The lesson is here is actually the committee member should have set the example to follow the rule or highlight their exception to the impacted party. Their only defence is the OPs account!

A quick word as the two groups past each other could have avoided many issues here. The committee member should be spoken to about this so they can discuss it with others. A close shave this time might mean next time it’s a lot worse but could hav been prevented.

Thanks again for bringing this up!

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Report him. He should have waited on the 10th for you to give him permission to proceed. The rules are there for a reason. He should know better.

Have a word with yourself. If he'd have waited he risked holding them up, by just going there was never a problem. Rules are there for reason, but common sense can and should prevail sometimes.,

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm not suggesting anything happens to him, I was merely pointing out the irony of a committee member brazenly flouting rules that he has helped set.

Like I have said a number of times on this thread, all it needed was some common courtesy from him, shouting over to ask if we were ok with him jumping in.

I've also got a fair idea what would happen if roles were reversed and I jumped in like that in front of a couple of committee members coming down the 9th.

At the end of the day, he made a judgement call and it was correct. I understand there is a protocol and rule here, and I know some committee members who would use their power to make an example of someone if the roles were reversed, but I try and get along with as many people as I can and I would let it go

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not suggesting anything happens to him, I was merely pointing out the irony of a committee member brazenly flouting rules that he has helped set.

Like I have said a number of times on this thread, all it needed was some common courtesy from him, shouting over to ask if we were ok with him jumping in.

I've also got a fair idea what would happen if roles were reversed and I jumped in like that in front of a couple of committee members coming down the 9th.

How do you know he helped set them - he may have voted against on the committee?

Common sense should prevail.

Ive jumped in before and been ok for a few holes but been caught up before due to slow play in front, but Ive always offered to let them play through. Some have, some havent.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How do you know he helped set them - he may have voted against on the committee?

Common sense should prevail.

Ive jumped in before and been ok for a few holes but been caught up before due to slow play in front, but Ive always offered to let them play through. Some have, some havent.
Yes but a one ball is no problem he can just move to different holes if held up, have done this myself. But I always wave to the players up the fairway nobody's ever complained.

But we have four balls doing it that's just not on.