One Plane Swing - Method or Style

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Heard several guys, both on here and elsewhere, talk about learning 1PS as if it's a method - like S&T or Rotary.

My understanding is that 1PS/OPS is one of 2 natural styles, with the other being Two Plane.

The major difference appears to be in the teaching process itself, as some adjustments that might improve a 1PS may be destructive for a 2PS - and vice-versa.

Have I got it all wrong?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't answer your question, but it also surprises me how people seem to be able to switch at will ie. saying they're going to try it out.

I'm 2-plane. I've tried swinging with my arms only going level with my shoulder angle and cannot do it. Whether it's my arms can't go low enough, my shoulders can't turn steep enough, or just the fact that I've swung the same for yonks and can't change I don't know.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't answer your question, but it also surprises me how people seem to be able to switch at will ie. saying they're going to try it out.

I'm 2-plane. I've tried swinging with my arms only going level with my shoulder angle and cannot do it. Whether it's my arms can't go low enough, my shoulders can't turn steep enough, or just the fact that I've swung the same for yonks and can't change I don't know.

Similar to Region in that im the other way round.....I swing mainly either parallel to my shoulder plane or below it (slightly flat)
For the life of me i cant get my hands and arms any higher above my shoulders in the backswing... It feels physically impossible to me and unnatural....

I guess most people fall between the two somewhere along the line.......There are many tour players and club golfers that are a mix.....Take even Matt Kucher as an extreme example......He is 6ft 4in.....At that height i would take a guess that the vast majority of players would have a tendency to swing their arms and hands above their shoulder plane in the backswing....but Kucher swings even well below his shoulders..He's comfortable doing that so his coach get him to bend over more at address to steepen the swing so it wasnt so flat....

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've always swung on a one plane basis, it just seems more natural to me to swing more around my body than turn and lift my arms. The 6 pros who I've seen over 12 years have all taught a one plane swing, whether because that was my style or because they taught that I don't know.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A one or On plane swing is more a body driven swing where a two plane is an arms driven swing. IMO a one plane swing is a simpler action that is easier to repeat but it does suit some body types better.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last edited:
A

Alex1975

Heard several guys, both on here and elsewhere, talk about learning 1PS as if it's a method - like S&T or Rotary.

My understanding is that 1PS/OPS is one of 2 natural styles, with the other being Two Plane.

The major difference appears to be in the teaching process itself, as some adjustments that might improve a 1PS may be destructive for a 2PS - and vice-versa.

Have I got it all wrong?

This is correct.