One Plane or Two Plane Swing?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As Jim Hardy explains in his book, this is not what he means by "One Plane", the one plane he is referring to is the position at the top of the swing, the relationship between the arms & the shoulders.

Also, surely anyone can swing the club on one plane, just go on an Explanar © to experience how it feels. The difference between "One Plane" & "Two Plane" in Jim Hardy parlance is in the steepness of the swing and the different movements required for each swing type. The difference between the swing fundamentals is the reason why so much of the advice you read in magazines appears to conflict. The reason being that the person handing out the advice doesn't explain what type of swing he's teaching.

not sure what is meant by "this is not what he means" - my comments to the OP are about not getting too hung up on trying to 'fit' to a 'swing plane model' as a ways forwards - as largely this tends to confuse folks, as can often times be seen ...

folks often times think 'one plane' refers to the motion in it's entirety - so the inserted example of the almost true 'planar' swing of bryson

swing plane is 'relative' to where in the motion during the swing has gotten too, the 'plane' changes over the time of the swing because it's movements in 3d space (and time), not 2d

when a "one plane -er" (using the reference to the lead arm to shoulder angle being similar atop the swing) makes a swing
if at some point on the ways to impact on the downswing there is not some 'steepness' (insert - shaft made tad more vertical) being introduced from hip height with shaft parallel to the ground downwards into the strike, or 'steepness' introduced at transition followed by a re-shallowing of the shaft, making contact at impact would be a tad problematic

the explanar is designed to be used only with rollers for a very good reason

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
See
not sure what is meant by "this is not what he means" - my comments to the OP are about not getting too hung up on trying to 'fit' to a 'swing plane model' as a ways forwards - as largely this tends to confuse folks, as can often times be seen ...

folks often times think 'one plane' refers to the motion in it's entirety - so the inserted example of the almost true 'planar' swing of bryson

swing plane is 'relative' to where in the motion during the swing has gotten too, the 'plane' changes over the time of the swing because it's movements in 3d space (and time), not 2d

when a "one plane -er" (using the reference to the lead arm to shoulder angle being similar atop the swing) makes a swing
if at some point on the ways to impact on the downswing there is not some 'steepness' (insert - shaft made tad more vertical) being introduced from hip height with shaft parallel to the ground downwards into the strike, or 'steepness' introduced at transition followed by a re-shallowing of the shaft, making contact at impact would be a tad problematic

the explanar is designed to be used only with rollers for a very good reason

I would comment on this if I could understand it!

P. S. I have used an Explanar with a proper golf club & it feels fine. Thought the roller was just to save wear on the club & provide some weight for muscle development.