One Plane Golf Lesson

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm really looking forward to my lesson this week, with a "qualified" One Plane teacher.
I'm going to see JJ Vallely who is based at Matfin Hall in Northumberland. JJ has been on courses to the States run by Jim Hardy and has had golf clinics with Matt Kuchar.
I spoke at length with JJ and his knowledge was mind blowing, and explained with clarity. I'm excited as it'll be refreshing to finally have a Pro who will be singing from the same sheet.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm really looking forward to my lesson this week, with a "qualified" One Plane teacher.
I'm going to see JJ Vallely who is based at Matfin Hall in Northumberland. JJ has been on courses to the States run by Jim Hardy and has had golf clinics with Matt Kuchar.
I spoke at length with JJ and his knowledge was mind blowing, and explained with clarity. I'm excited as it'll be refreshing to finally have a Pro who will be singing from the same sheet.

Bit of a problem if you are a 'natural' 2-Planer!! :rolleyes:

Hardy makes it clear that neither 'swing' is necessarily 'better' than the other, simply 'different' - but all swings could be categorised into either 1-Plane or 2-Plane. His mentor (John Jacobs) generally taught 2-Plane, though, when asked, commented that Ben Hogan swung 'in one plane'!

mteam

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Jensen keep us posted how you get along John is a great coach and its a nice set up where he 's at. Have you read any of Hardy's books?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Foxholer;1852663[B said:
]Bit of a problem if you are a 'natural' 2-Planer!![/B] :rolleyes:

He's not!

Hardy makes it clear that neither 'swing' is necessarily 'better' than the other, simply 'different' - but all swings could be categorised into either 1-Plane or 2-Plane. His mentor (John Jacobs) generally taught 2-Plane, though, when asked, commented that Ben Hogan swung 'in one plane'!

Hardy does say that the one plane swing is more reliable because it has fewer moving parts. However not all people, especially old farts like me, are flexible enough to do it. Don't know how long I can keep it up.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well, had my first lesson with JJ, wow absolutely amazing. The guy has a real passion for teaching
and his enthusiasm shines through. His knowledge is incredible and he clearly has a drive.
The set up at Matfen is impressive along with his studio suite, where he has all sorts of aids to help
with teaching, ie hoops, tennis rackets, hockey sticks, balls etc.
I'll not go into too much detail, but after recording my swing he showed me the flaws I was making and explained what happens in the golf swing, the face and how the handle reacts. So a bit of technical stuff which was explained with clarity.
So the message was, even though I thought my action was 1 plane, it wasn't following the rules exactly. I clarified with JJ and due to where my club is in the backswing and how I swing, 1 plane is definitely for me. He picked up I was too tense at address in the shoulders and arms. However the biggest factor is how I come down into impact. I was swinging towards the target, rather than in an arc with relaxed arms. For a 1 plane swing I need to swing down and exit low bottom (FOR ME).
So JJ illustrated with a tennis racket and an oven glove what I need to do. The sensation for me is that I now feel I'm coming over the top, I have to strike down with the feeling of my right palm hitting my left thigh. It's as though I have a knife in my right hand and that I am trying to stab myself in the left thigh with a flat right hand. It's something that never dawned on me after reading the plane truth book. It just goes to show how hard it is to understand details from a book.
The great thing is after spending quite a bit of time with JJ I can relate to what he says, it's now a case of doing the drills and putting the work in.
Regardless of what type of swing you have, with his depth of knowledge JJ would certainly be able to help you,,so if you're not too far away pay him a visit.

mteam

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Its a strange feeling throwing your right hand down near you thigh when done right the club head just fires through

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes working with John. I struggle with getting my inner arm and palm facing into my body

the biggest problem with the one plane swing is this feeling of the left arm rolling down the chest or the right palm facing the ground is that it promotes internal rotation of the right shoulder.

i thought i cracked golf after my one plane lessons and after a while i just couldn't progress. imo you shouldn't be giving the arms anything to do in the ds. the arms work correctly when you pivot and turn correctly.

good luck. i hope you get better results than i did

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
the biggest problem with the one plane swing is this feeling of the left arm rolling down the chest or the right palm facing the ground is that it promotes internal rotation of the right shoulder.

i thought i cracked golf after my one plane lessons and after a while i just couldn't progress. imo you shouldn't be giving the arms anything to do in the ds. the arms work correctly when you pivot and turn correctly.

good luck. i hope you get better results than i did

You clearly have some understanding of the 1 Plane Swing, but how qualified and experienced was the Pro that you saw ?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
You clearly have some understanding of the 1 Plane Swing, but how qualified and experienced was the Pro that you saw ?

he was a one plane certified instructor. it got me from a 28 handicap to 13 in a very short time but even then i knew something wasn't right.

i also didn't like the analogy of pulling the right arm behind the shirt seam on the backswing. it made me very narrow and a picky up takeaway.

i think you can play good golf with it but you'll never be a great golfer with his teachings. too placing and steering of the club for it to work long term imo. good luck to you though. i hope it sticks

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
he was a one plane certified instructor. it got me from a 28 handicap to 13 in a very short time but even then i knew something wasn't right.

i also didn't like the analogy of pulling the right arm behind the shirt seam on the backswing. it made me very narrow and a picky up takeaway.

i think you can play good golf with it but you'll never be a great golfer with his teachings. too placing and steering of the club for it to work long term imo. good luck to you though. i hope it sticks

Thanks very much for your detailed reply. I like the feeling of the right arm behind the shirt seem with the elbow pointing down as this creates width.

In terms of not being a great golfer is concerned, I'm sure Matt Kuchar wouldn't agree.

However I do understand that it's not for everyone, and your well wishes are appreciated 👍

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So I played today for the first time since my lesson, although I've also had one visit to the range.
Thankfully today's comp was pairs bogey, so a bit of pressure off.
Hit some really good solid shots, but as expected some bad ones. The bad ones were block/pushes left where I did not get right through the ball and exit right. I also eventually got the right sensation of pulling the club down with my left hand and pulling the grip into my body on the way down. This causes the clubhead to whip round.
I was particularly pleased with the last 4 holes which were solid.
It's now a case on putting the work in at the range.
Delighted with my lesson and have faith in JJ whom
I will be seeing again.

mteam

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nice one Jensen

Do you play golf right handed? My miss is a push to the right

Well done on the last four holes