One of the other mags....

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
Just got my copy of Golf world today, my first one. Sat down at the kitchen table with a coffee and Soberano Brandy (man flu with match tomorrow) and read through the adverts, in fact page after page of adverts to my cold ridden eyes. Then after flicking through pages of adverts and decent looking reads I will come back too I found the 2009 balls section reviews...

The review for the Srixon Z-Star was "Biggest market growth, too much technology" or words to that effect, then awarded a silver star, I was taken back at this as they classed it in the same league as Nike premium balls and Bridgestone, the Z-Star is one of the biggest releases in my eyes for this year, a true battle against the dominating Pro Vee, yet they state for the pro vee "hardly any change"!!

Looking at the advert above this page also reminds me of the TM R9 adverts, page after page of the R9 adverts, I mean yeah it looks a great driver I am sure, but £300+ worth to make a 15 handicapper drop to 3 by the end of the season? No, but I know they have to advertise their products, but very OTT of TM in my eyes when we all know in 6 months time a new TM will be released.

Comparing GW to GM is like watching the Ryder cup to a local Texas Scramble on a wet Sunday afternoon, I take we all have to make money but where do you draw the line at advertising and readers enjoyment? I see my subscription to GW as a tenner and some Z-Stars I would have bought anyway. One last thing, I want to take my cap off to the GM team (inc Homer) for producing the best mag on the shelves in the UK.

(if you want someone to test either the new R9 or PRO V1 please pm me ;) )

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Parmo

Thanks forthe kind nod of thanks but mine is only a very small cog in a far bigger wheel that is very difficult. The GM boys are working to very tight schedules and have to arrange a lot of things way in advance to ensure each magazine is filled with interesting and informative articles.

I agree with your point, particularly about the TM advertising although I'm not overly surprised as GW is a sister magazine to Tdays Golfer and we all know what a publicity machine that magazine is towards TM, Ping and Nike in particular.

Sadly revenue is revenue but each magazine will have their own standards on the number of ads they deem acceptable and where and who places them.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
No problem Homer, enjoy/ed reading your section. I agree with what you mentioned regarding advertising, its not just the R9 its the Cobra S9, something I am contending buying soon, but without the customer fit options offered like the premium drivers & fairways its 50/50 atm with the real need for a trolley on a short track.