One length irons

Buckbeak

Visit site
How do people get on with their one length clubs? And those who’ve tried them, what do you think?

Seen a good deal on the Cobra F8 one length irons and I’m quite intrigued by them. When I first saw one length clubs I dismissed the idea, but reading more about them I think they might actually be good for me.

I’m a 22 handicapper and looking to get closer to 18 this year.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How do people get on with their one length clubs? And those who’ve tried them, what do you think?

Seen a good deal on the Cobra F8 one length irons and I’m quite intrigued by them. When I first saw one length clubs I dismissed the idea, but reading more about them I think they might actually be good for me.

Tried them on a range and got the concept but something wrong in my head standing there with a PW the length of a 7 iron and couldn't trust myself on the course I think with them especially in the short irons. Think the idea is sound but not for me (probably way too much golfing baggage)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I tried them for a couple of rounds and could certainly see the benefits they bring. I decided not to persist with them as I change irons fairly often and felt that it would be difficult to adjust back to variable lengths. One length clubs are considered to be very helpful when first learning to play so may suit you well - I certainly didnt find too many issues.

Also, our esteemed leader Mr Harris has used them to good effect this year and certainly knocked them round pretty well last time I was out with him

Buckbeak

Visit site
I tried them for a couple of rounds and could certainly see the benefits they bring. I decided not to persist with them as I change irons fairly often and felt that it would be difficult to adjust back to variable lengths. One length clubs are considered to be very helpful when first learning to play so may suit you well - I certainly didnt find too many issues.

Also, our esteemed leader Mr Harris has used them to good effect this year and certainly knocked them round pretty well last time I was out with him

I did see Mike’s year review of them on YouTube, which was one of the reasons why I was tempted to change over to them. Annoyingly the F8 is a few years old and not many places have them available to try before I would buy

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Tried them on a range and got the concept but something wrong in my head standing there with a PW the length of a 7 iron and couldn't trust myself on the course I think with them especially in the short irons. Think the idea is sound but not for me (probably way too much golfing baggage)
The last set I saw the wedges were shorter

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

As a 22hcp they might help you if you struggle with longer irons but as would gripping down on a 5 or a 6 you would lose distance. The other issue is you are putting a huge gap between iron length and wood length.

personally I’d fix the problems with lessons.

Buckbeak

Visit site
As a 22hcp they might help you if you struggle with longer irons but as would gripping down on a 5 or a 6 you would lose distance. The other issue is you are putting a huge gap between iron length and wood length.

personally I’d fix the problems with lessons.

I am having regular lessons, and have been improving. But I’m hoping to upgrade my old irons soon and seen some good and bad reviews of one length and thought I’d see the forums views too.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Not a fan of the flight of the shorter irons when I tried them, the lower numbers may well be easier to hit, but u could just go down to 6 iron then hybrid or fairway wood if long irons are an issue.

Edit: the ability with technology to make hotter iron faces means the distance gaps can be kept appropriate with one length clubs.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
`I used them for a few months a while back, I liked them but I struggled with gapping, specially with the longer iron. Maybe they've tweaked the technology on the newer versions to get around this?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I am having regular lessons, and have been improving. But I’m hoping to upgrade my old irons soon and seen some good and bad reviews of one length and thought I’d see the forums views too.
Well your clearly doing the right thing with lessons. What does your coach think. Right clubs? Right time To change?

sunshine

Visit site
My understanding is that to compensate for the shorter shaft, the long irons have less loft than traditional irons. As a result, if you don't have the swing speed you will struggle to get any decent carry with the long irons, and controlling a short iron is of course harder with a long 7 iron shaft: therefore they are apparently not suited to higher handicappers.

Visit site
I made a set of Wishon Sterling’s for a good friend of mine on his say so. He has back issues with a sweeping action so making them all 8i length (the length Tom Wishon advises) playing all irons from one position and swinging on the same plane made sense to him. He has 5-PW with regular shafts that were tipped to a Regular+ and has never got on with long irons. So he has a normal hybrid club, 5w 3w Dr and normal 3 wedges. He went from 3.4 to 1.5 within 18months, he’s not a long hitter by any stretch but is very accurate with his shorter irons, but has become more so with the 7/6&5 irons now.
He swears by them and he’s stated it’s made the game easier for him. I think beginners would certainly benefit and especially juniors and ladies.

Buckbeak

Visit site
Well your clearly doing the right thing with lessons. What does your coach think. Right clubs? Right time To change?

I have briefly mentioned to him about upgrading but not one length, I will mention thisnto him at my lesson next week. He said new clubs will benefit me, but that’s probably mainly due to technology advances more than anything.

Tab373

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
ive been using the Forged tec black one length for the last 6 months. was using the variable cobra forged tec but just wanted to give one length ago. i find the 5 iron so easy to hit as are most of the rest but just cant get on with the PW. Stuck with the PW until last month when i put from my variable length one back in. i play off 9 and have gained 2 shots last year but its not the clubs fault. i joined a new course last year and put my higher handicap down to the course being a little tighter and very sloping fairways. Also had some lessons and the pro said if they feel right play them. i also bought the f9 hybrid, now that feels strange but just so easy to hit. Perhaps find a set on golfbidder try them and return if they are not for you.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If I could I'd like to try the one length 4-7 then variable length on 8-PW. But I don't think you can do that without buying 2 sets.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I can see the merits in them and I'd guess they are going to become more prevalent over the years.

However I think if they were a genuine game changer, we'd see a lot more in the way of adoption by the mass market and manufacturers.

Also remember that while a 5 iron is shorter, the loft is stronger.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I have briefly mentioned to him about upgrading but not one length, I will mention thisnto him at my lesson next week. He said new clubs will benefit me, but that’s probably mainly due to technology advances more than anything.
Yeah it probably is. Definitely worth getting his thoughts on one length. He knows your game far better than us.