One length irons?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the long term would I cause issues when I improve? Eg. If I get used to the one length swing will I have trouble carrying this over to traditional clubs later on?
Not inherently, no.

I take it from this response that you are relatively new to the game and currently a high handicapper rather than a 20 years vet playing of 28?

There's absolutely nothing fundamentally different other than preconceptions. The possible exception to that statement would revolve around a shorter club for chipping; it's generally accepted that gripping down on an already short club is beneficial in consistent strikes and control for such shots - but there's nothing stopping you having a chipping iron as well as you putting iron!

There are definitely less clubhead options (is that really a bad thing!), SH options etc but things are changing.

On the other hand they aren't a magic wand - although some people have (apparently) hoped for such 🤔

If you find they feel good for you then good luck.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the long term would I cause issues when I improve? Eg. If I get used to the one length swing will I have trouble carrying this over to traditional clubs later on?

If you work well with them then why change at all to traditional clubs in the future? Good old Mr Dechambeau is making a few quid winning tournaments using one length clubs. If he is happy using them at his level then I wouldn't worry at amateur level.

Visit site
I wouldn’t be overly concearned about it.
I fitted some one length clubs to a 3-4hc player about 14months ago. Due to his issues with back and neck we decided that SLC is the way to go for him as the longer irons 3/4 irons were hard for him to create the club head speed to get the distance he was after. He’s now down to 1.9 and has found his dispersion and accuracy has improved, with the same set up, ball position, same plane and letting the loft determine the distances he’s found that he’s not lost yardage on the 5/6/7/8 irons but gained 10yds on his wedge which he was happy about.
All his clubs are 8i length and he won’t go back to the conventional irons.

Wolf

Visit site
It's well worth giving them a go regardless of handicap high or low.

You may find you don't get in with them but then like me you may find you love them. I started playing again after roughly 10years out back in October, got fitted for 1 length irons and found straight away so much more consistency with the long irons and such a tight dispersion rate with them. I've found it easy to create a repeating swing and having a single set up is so much simpler for me. I've gained distance through the the whole bag with them.

I've got 5iron - GW and love them, but that being said I tried the One Length hybrids and simply couldn't get on with them or generate enough speed with them.