one for the builders........

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My mother is selling her house and downsizing.

Ive got first refusal on the house, I’m thinking of buying it, developing it and selling it on.

It’s a 3 bed 1 bath 1940’s terraced house in North London.

It has a single storey extension built in the mid 1980s, however the footing and foundations were put in for a 2 storey extension.

Given that in order to maximise the eventual selling price, I would need to turn it into a 4 bed 2 bath, can anyone tell me -

- Is demolishing the current extension and starting from scratch required?

- Can the current footings and foundations be used to build on, and can the second storey be built on top of the extension that is already there?

Also interested in any success or horror stories about project managing something like this whilst working full time.

Thanks in advance.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
We did similar a few years ago , built on top of an existing ground floor extension with a flat roof.
Building regs will need to inspect the foundations to check they are ok, you will need plans and possibly planning permission ( but recent changes may mean you don’t).

We had a builder who coordinated all the tradesmen , but you have to watch them every step of the way, as some will attempt shortcuts, it’s about a working dialogue with your builder.

No sob stories, and it was certainly worthwhile financially.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
As per fragger, most likley you will need to dig down to prove that the existing foundations are up to the job, if they are not you will need to dig out and start fresh. thats not a deal breaker in my eyes. As its just a 1st floor extension, i doubt you will need full planning permission, but it may depend on windows, neighbours etc.. get the local planning team on the phone and ask away! Its what they are there for! (and each district, town may have diff rules, so call the one the house is in!)

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks both, the house is one of the few left in the street that doesn’t have a full 2 story extension so pretty sure planning won’t be an issue.

I’m really torn between doing the full extension or just modernising the interior and moving it on.....

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m really torn between doing the full extension or just modernising the interior and moving it on.....

How much is next door or an equivalent property worth, Vs the current value of this one plus the cost of the extension? If there is a 20-30k difference then its a no brainer! Let the sums make the decision!