Old Drivers

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well me and the Big Stick are having a bit of scrap for the past few weeks.....No matter what i do im spraying it like aunt Bessie watering he flowers in summer....
Iv just read the above again and i think its worded a bit arseways...:whistle:

Ill hold my hand up and say i dont practice with it much and to be honest there's probably only 5 or 6 holes that i may hit it on at our course in a competition...

Pop a 3 wood in my hand and ill do whatever you want me to do with it...
Im seriously thinking about going to a strong 3 wood for tee shots or maybe try get my hands on one of the older smaller headed drivers and get it reshafted with something i like....

Even when i try and swing smooth with my 910 everything goes to pot..... i could sling it back in the bag at the range and pull a mid iron and im smooth as silk hitting balls....

Its obviously me, but iv been reading a bit whereby you need to have 2 different swings for irons and woods.... But how is it that i can hit my 3 wood fine and my hybrid but couldnt hit a bulls arse with the driver....

My iron play is pretty strong but i feel that if i can sort out the driver issues or find one i can keep in play it will do wonders for my confidence..... A t the moment ill only pull it out where Ive room to miss...

Anyone play with a strong 3 wood and no Driver?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have both.

I find that I lash my driver. It's what it's for. There is no limit, in theory, as to how far I can hit it.

When I pull my 3w, it's because I dont need to hit my driver. Therefore, in my head, I don't need to lash it, because I'm not playing for length. So I don't. it's all psychological.

For me.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have both.

I find that I lash my driver. It's what it's for. There is no limit, in theory, as to how far I can hit it.

When I pull my 3w, it's because I dont need to hit my driver. Therefore, in my head, I don't need to lash it, because I'm not playing for length. So I don't. it's all psychological.

For me.

Id say im similar Murph....... I tend to really go after mine as well.... But i just cant seem to swing the bigger head and the longer shaft with the same rhythm as any of my other clubs......
I had a look at Callaways new 3 Deep 3 Wood but when i put it alongside my own 910 the shafts were the same length and the heads roughly the same size..... Only difference was that there was a half a degree difference in them.....

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just picked up a 3Deep having had no driver in the bag for a while. Initial impressions are decent, head is actually similar to the original Big Bertha driver - current 3 wood size but much deeper face. Not convinced with PX6.5 shaft as yet, may be getting replaced at some point but initial impressions of the head are definitely positive (its exceptionally low spin which I like). If it is reshafted expect Ill go an inch shorter again too

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I have the Cally 3Deep 13° and sadly the jury is still out.
I'm like you, give me a standard 3 wood and I'm OK.
Anything bigger and it's pot luck.
I was hoping the 3Deep would give me a bit more consistency but it's not conclusive yet.
When I get it right it's wonderful, even in current conditions 220-230 carry + run.
But it's extremely low spin and if I get it wrong it doesn't fly.
Still rolls though..!
The search may be continuing...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Id say im similar Murph....... I tend to really go after mine as well.... But i just cant seem to swing the bigger head and the longer shaft with the same rhythm as any of my other clubs......
I had a look at Callaways new 3 Deep 3 Wood but when i put it alongside my own 910 the shafts were the same length and the heads roughly the same size..... Only difference was that there was a half a degree difference in them.....

you have the 910F or FD? I have the F and the 3 deep a very different shape completely

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have the Cally 3Deep 13° and sadly the jury is still out.
I'm like you, give me a standard 3 wood and I'm OK.
Anything bigger and it's pot luck.
I was hoping the 3Deep would give me a bit more consistency but it's not conclusive yet.
When I get it right it's wonderful, even in current conditions 220-230 carry + run.
But it's extremely low spin and if I get it wrong it doesn't fly.
Still rolls though..!
The search may be continuing...

There has to be a driver out there for us Pal.... Somewhere....:rolleyes:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
you have the 910F or FD? I have the F and the 3 deep a very different shape completely

I have the standard F Pal..... Its the same length as the 3 Deep similar in head size front to back but the deep is definitely deeper in the face.... Plus as i said above its a 14.5 in the deep that i was looking at...

Maybe if i got my hands on a 910 FD and dropped the loft!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have the standard F Pal..... Its the same length as the 3 Deep similar in head size front to back but the deep is definitely deeper in the face.... Plus as i said above its a 14.5 in the deep that i was looking at...

Maybe if i got my hands on a 910 FD and dropped the loft!

Im still waiting for Rick not to get on with his 13 degree 913Fd for that reason lol

Slicer30

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Well me and the Big Stick are having a bit of scrap for the past few weeks.....No matter what i do im spraying it like aunt Bessie watering he flowers in summer....
Iv just read the above again and i think its worded a bit arseways...:whistle:

Ill hold my hand up and say i dont practice with it much and to be honest there's probably only 5 or 6 holes that i may hit it on at our course in a competition...

Pop a 3 wood in my hand and ill do whatever you want me to do with it...
Im seriously thinking about going to a strong 3 wood for tee shots or maybe try get my hands on one of the older smaller headed drivers and get it reshafted with something i like....

Even when i try and swing smooth with my 910 everything goes to pot..... i could sling it back in the bag at the range and pull a mid iron and im smooth as silk hitting balls....

Its obviously me, but iv been reading a bit whereby you need to have 2 different swings for irons and woods.... But how is it that i can hit my 3 wood fine and my hybrid but couldnt hit a bulls arse with the driver....

My iron play is pretty strong but i feel that if i can sort out the driver issues or find one i can keep in play it will do wonders for my confidence..... A t the moment ill only pull it out where Ive room to miss...

Anyone play with a strong 3 wood and no Driver?

Kid - seek out a Mactec NVG2 ( non Draw). I went back to it after the Draw version gave me my best driving year.

The standard non-draw is a beaut, truly for £20 on ebay too....if you can find one, which took me a while they are worth a wee go

EarCat

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play with a Big Bertha Hawkeye 9 degree because I can't play a low fade with a modern driver, especially into the wind. Also, I don't like how heavy modern driver heads are and how unpleasant they look at address.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Mactec NVG2
£20 on ebay too....if you can find one

Wow. Blast from the past!

Not a lot of point trying to sell the, older, FT3 that still works for me - or the, slightly younger, Cobra 414 (Tour, so conforming), that doesn't anymore, in that case!

@Imurg. Perhaps worth taking a similar low-price punt on (Deepish-Faced) Tour Edge (Exotics or Bazooka) 3-woods, probably 13*. High performance face even by today's standards.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mines the fd. Can't hit it at all off the fairway, but it hits bullets off the tee peg.

Thats what im after Pal.... My standard 910F is goof off the fairway and the tee.... Just need a little more length off the tee though instead of the driver..

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you cant reach the green with a 7 iron, what do you do ?

Drop to a 6 Bob.....
I know you'll slate me and it is me and not the club..... Im just going through a bit of an identity crisis with my driver..... I cant seem to put the nice smooth swing on it like i do my 3 wood.... Its like i grow horns and just try to kill it!:rolleyes: