Old brands - which ones would yo ulove to see back or back to their best

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Strange but John Letters, MacGregor, Dunlop, Ram etc would have killed for Nike’s club sales and yet it wasn’t enough to keep them in the market. I guess their clothing revenue dwarfed equipment sales.
The loss of Nike to me was a watershed moment and finally ended the pretence that making good golf equipment is a lucrative business in times of decline in the industry as a whole - well a decline from it’s previous glory days.
Nike’s departure was also quickly followed by higher (or return to higher) headline equipment prices. My guess is the two are connected.
Twas a shame. Nike made some good stuff and their R&D was top notch.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Dunlop keep coming up, I believe that SD sold them off to a Japanese company and are starting to make some decent stuff again at cheap prices.

I believe they had some irons made forged from 1025 steel and were selling them for £400 a set, they reviewed well and didn't look too bad either. But no custom fitting so you just got the shaft you were given, but more importantly they still suffered from the SD bargain range tag they had been given.

My friend is new to golf so was looking for some new but not expensive irons, I pointed these out to him and he just laughed because they were Dunlop. He opted for some Wilson Staff clubs instead

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dunlop keep coming up, I believe that SD sold them off to a Japanese company and are starting to make some decent stuff again at cheap prices.

I believe they had some irons made forged from 1025 steel and were selling them for £400 a set, they reviewed well and didn't look too bad either. But no custom fitting so you just got the shaft you were given, but more importantly they still suffered from the SD bargain range tag they had been given.

My friend is new to golf so was looking for some new but not expensive irons, I pointed these out to him and he just laughed because they were Dunlop. He opted for some Wilson Staff clubs instead

I have got one of the wedges that were made for John Daly branded Dunlop and RG designs. Probably one of my all time bargains bought in the local SD shop for just £5.

SD at one time seemed to have some sort of link with McGregor as they suddenly had large stocks of Vfoil, 1025 blades and wedges a few years back .

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
I loved tour edition golf balls that Greg Norman used to play. Never had spin like them before or since.

And Callaway rule 35 blue

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Well, I do play a set of MacGregor irons, which I got used off ebay two years ago. They were released in 2005 and they are actually very decent clubs. So decent that I have given up on the notion of getting anything newer or fancier at the moment ... I had originally planned to just play them for one season until I could afford a new set, but they work so well for me, that I have decided that I will just get them re-gripped and get the lofts and lies checked this year and hold on to them for a while longer. It looks like that has been pretty much the last real iron set MacGregor brought out before they were reduced to producing mostly cheap beginners sets. Which is a shame, because, as I said, they are really nice clubs and from what I gather, they were quite popular when they came out as well.

D

Deleted member 1147

My first clubs were a half set of Ben Sayers junior blades.
I've also had a Snake Eyes lob wedge, John Letters Persimmon Driver, Slazenger "Anser style" putter, and a Slotline putter, and my first adult length irons were Howson Derby.
My favourite ball when playing as a youngster was the Wilson Ultra Competition