Old brands - which ones would yo ulove to see back or back to their best

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
As per a lot of my other threads, I was thinking of something non-golf related and my train of thought came back to golf.

I was thinking about Slazenger, more specifically about cricket bats. When I was younger Slazenger made the best bats, everyone wanted the Slazenger V8 bat. And while they still exist they are no longer one of the big boys at least not what they were.

This got me thinking about Slazenger golf, a bit before my time but I do still see Slazenger irons at the driving range, but my dad was adamant that Slazenger were a top brand used by some of the best pros. But now seem just to make up the bargain golf club range that Donnay used to hold.

This got me to thinking of other golf brands that have either gone completely or have regressed into something totally different to what they were.

Maxfli (some pretty good balls and the revolution irons were also excellent)
Top Flite (balata balls and the 2000 series were pretty good for the price)
Hogan (tried a set whilst I was picking my current set, wonderful clubs)

What brands would you want to see back again or back to their best. If for nothing else but nostalgia

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
MacGregor? My first irons when I was a kid were MacGregor. I don't know if they were ever brilliant, but you certainly don't see much of them anymore!

I had some McGreggor woods when I was younger you're right they have fallen off.

Also should have mentioned John Letters, they were my first proper set of irons, and still going I think, my brother uses them.

Oh and Ben Sayers, so may coming to mind

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Back in the early 90's TopFlite were a big brand and made quality clubs.
Ronan Rafferty won the Order of Merit using TopFlite Tour irons and they were used by many other top Pros of the time.
I believe Peter Baker used them in the RC.
I had a set of the Tour oversize - a slightly bigger version for us mortals and they were excellent sticks..
It's a shame TopFlite is now regarded as even below budget brands....

D

Deleted member 18588

Back in the early 90's TopFlite were a big brand and made quality clubs.
Ronan Rafferty won the Order of Merit using TopFlite Tour irons and they were used by many other top Pros of the time.
I believe Peter Baker used them in the RC.
I had a set of the Tour oversize - a slightly bigger version for us mortals and they were excellent sticks..
It's a shame TopFlite is now regarded as even below budget brands....

They also damn nearly finished Payne Stewart's career I believe .

He had to extricate himself from an endorsement contract as the club's just were not working for him.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
MacGregor? My first irons when I was a kid were MacGregor. I don't know if they were ever brilliant, but you certainly don't see much of them anymore!

Check my sig!

I actually have 2 sets of these! Made for MacGregor by Miura.

And their Vfoils were pretty good too! I regret selling the 52, 56, 60 wedges I had!

As for Donnay....Just another Sports Direct 'brand' these days! Used to be one of the top brands in (wooden) Tennis racquets!

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Check my sig!

I actually have 2 sets of these! Made for MacGregor by Miura.

As for Donnay....Just another Sports Direct 'brand' these days! Used to be one of the top brands in (wooden) Tennis racquets!

I still have a set of MacGregor 1025M in my garage.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
At least with Ben Hogan the brand still makes decent looking clubs. I used to have a set of their CFT irons which were lovely to play with but real ball shredders.
Maxfli and Slazenger I think are the ones I guess I think of when you think of what they were.
Yes there are clubs out there with their name on them but just a name on a piece of metal.
I have a set of Maxfli Revolution Oversize which are still lovely clubs to play with even today.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
my first set of irons were Ben Sayers "Ray Floyd" signature blades and I loved them. they are sat in my garage at the moment.

Slazenger used to make decent balls too and their balata was one of my favourites

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
My first set were Macgregor Tourney (MT) irons, started with a 1/2 set and added to them one by one as and when I could afford another club. Lovely irons at the time.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Ben Sayers "Mentor" were classic blades.

Pro Drive used by Jeff Hawkes.

RAM used by Tom Watson. (Made great copper wedges!)

Browning, John Letters, Petron, were all names I remember from the past.

Not sure I miss any or would want then back in the bag.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ben Sayers "Mentor" were classic blades.

Pro Drive used by Jeff Hawkes.

RAM used by Tom Watson. (Made great copper wedges!)

Browning, John Letters, Petron, were all names I remember from the past.

Not sure I miss any or would want then back in the bag.

I think John Letters would be annoyed to see their name in your list as 'from the past'

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some brands in there where the name has changed but the quality lives on

e.g. Maxfli balls were where TaylorMade got the technology from.