Official WHS Survey

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The most significant improvement is Slope.
That effectively gave high cappers strokes.
So the low cappers are complaining.

I wonder what the cap of the 'antis' are

GP cheating is a different issue and is really a club h'cap c'ee problem.

IanMac

Visit site
And how did the annual review work for most folks stuck with 0.1 when and if they played comps? Maybe they just quit playing comps?
Annual reviews were for people who'd grown old or had developed a physical issue.

Those who needed to go up because they were playing badly were not considered. The thought was, and still is amongst many, that these guys needed to practice and/or get a lesson. If you need more than 1 shot per hole you are probably in need of a lesson anyway. Maybe the player doesn't know the correct technique for a bunker shot? If he does know the right technique for the shot that's hurting him then practice. Giving more shots isn't going to cure the illness. For example if it's the yips, giving him more shots can actually make things worse.

The game is meant to test us.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And how did the annual review work for most folks stuck with 0.1 when and if they played comps? Maybe they just quit playing comps?
So we have gone 360 now it’s the low men not playing comps as it’s skewed towards high cappers.

That all hunky dory .

Look after the high guys ,sod the ones who work on their game .

wjemather

Visit site
Annual reviews were for people who'd grown old or had developed a physical issue.

Those who needed to go up because they were playing badly were not considered. The thought was, and still is amongst many, that these guys needed to practice and/or get a lesson. If you need more than 1 shot per hole you are probably in need of a lesson anyway. Maybe the player doesn't know the correct technique for a bunker shot? If he does know the right technique for the shot that's hurting him then practice. Giving more shots isn't going to cure the illness. For example if it's the yips, giving him more shots can actually make things worse.

The game is meant to test us.
This simply isn't true. Annual reviews were for everyone, and the need for practice or lessons was never a consideration - or at least not by handicap committees who weren't making up their own rules.

The average handicap in GB&I is 15-20, which means an awful lot of golfers need more than a stroke a hole. No amount of lessons is going to help someone who is limited physically hit the ball far enough to have a handicap of 18 or below.

For most, golf is about social interaction, recreation and enjoyment - it's not about flogging oneself in the gym and in the practice ground in the vain hope of achieving a handicap that is acceptable to the few low(-ish) handicappers who cry foul whenever they see a remotely good net/Stableford score posted by someone with a double digit handicap.

wjemather

Visit site
So we have gone 360 now it’s the low men not playing comps as it’s skewed towards high cappers.

That all hunky dory .

Look after the high guys ,sod the ones who work on their game .
Few very low handicappers ever entered significant numbers of regular club comps. The only significant advantage higher handicappers have is in numbers - there are simply lots more of them.

And again with the pretence that only low(-ish) handicappers work on their game. Many don't, at all; and many higher handicappers work a lot harder than you.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Few very low handicappers ever entered significant numbers of regular club comps. The only significant advantage higher handicappers have is in numbers - there are simply lots more of them.

And again with the pretence that only low(-ish) handicappers work on their game. Many don't, at all; and many higher handicappers work a lot harder than you.
How do you know how hard I work on my game?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That’s not my experience over 40 yrs playing golf.
Low cappers played all comps except when there was a scratch event somewhere else.

IanMac

Visit site
This simply isn't true. Annual reviews were for everyone, and the need for practice or lessons was never a consideration - or at least not by handicap committees who weren't making up their own rules.

The average handicap in GB&I is 15-20, which means an awful lot of golfers need more than a stroke a hole. No amount of lessons is going to help someone who is limited physically hit the ball far enough to have a handicap of 18 or below.

For most, golf is about social interaction, recreation and enjoyment - it's not about flogging oneself in the gym and in the practice ground in the vain hope of achieving a handicap that is acceptable to the few low(-ish) handicappers who cry foul whenever they see a remotely good net/Stableford score posted by someone with a double digit handicap.
Have I mentioned that I play in Ireland? Most clubs here take the game fairly seriously. Could do with the R&A also taking it seriously and getting this WHS debacle sorted ASAP.

The fun is in the competition. That's what keeps us playing for a lifetime.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
GP cheating is a different issue and is really a club h'cap c'ee problem.

Understand the sentiment here. But, at the risk it repetition, we know the range or resources/competence across clubs is significant.

I also wonder how the non club handicaps are managed, the volume of cards must be considerable.

Another, loop hole, set up to cause issues?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
work on their game .
A non sequitur surely.
You work on your trade or profession. You play games for enjoyment.

If your enjoyment is all about being the best, by all means practice in order to improve. But most players don't want or expect to be the best. They want to simply enjoy playing.
There can only be one best in a competition most of the others are there to enjoy the experience.