Official WHS Survey

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
You expect to win a prize in 50% of events?? That is way too high a strike rate and would raise a red flag if I were organising events you played in.

Your post did confirm my suspicions as to why you and some of the others don’t like WHS!
No, at that course only. Jesus stop twisting replies it does you no favours. It suited us due to the number of very long par 4s, and also drivable short 4s that played into our two long hitters hands, there was also a lack.of low handicappers at this event due to it being a 9 and many still have a 9 holer stigma

Your suspicions were that I play scrambles? What piffle, the whole WHS is a shambles, from allowances, speed of handicap rise, ease of cheating opportunity, GP cards, the overcomplicated playing handicap calculation, the mystery of PCC, and more.

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
How did your club set allowances for scrambles? At least there is some consistency now.
I was talking about Opens, Every club in the north east used 10% of combined, with a max of 8.

Some have now started to revert back to that in defiance of "mandatory" allowances, not that it matters, damage has been done. Dufftown were the initiaters up here 30 years ago when they introduced the first Texas open, it's been hugely popular ever since and spread to a 2 day event many years ago, and indeed to every club north of Dundee, but even they this year changed one of their days to a 2man scramble instead.

Well done WHS 👍

wjemather

Visit site
The poor implementation was mostly by individual clubs, but moreover by individuals not taking the time to understand the changes.
Very true, but the educational materials issued by the authorities did not help. The message to players should have been more focused on the things they really need to know, and much simpler.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How often does that happen? How do you determine the the player should be off 18? Do you ever question it with the committee? If you do, does the committee have a satisfactory explanation?
Far to often.
I would be writing letters every week

only one explanation. “HE HAS DONE NOTHING WRONG!”
His comp cards and GP cards say he’s off 24.
But me and anyone who knows and has played with him for years knows he should be 18
He even admits it himself.

Imo this is the biggest problem.
Golfers who have played the game for years have seen their handicaps go up when their actual standard of play hasn’t changed.
But the difference between good and bad scores are a bit wild their handicap has risen.
Better players who’s scores are closer together havnt seen these changes.

It’s created mistrust in the system and a bonus for mediocrity.
This is my opinion of course one I’m not allowed to express here by some!

IanMac

Visit site
Again again, I don’t see these problems where I play, so they can’t be a universal problem.
I don't know anyone who isn't seeing these problems. Ok there are those in my club that don't really understand or care about the handicap system, previous or current, and they might argue that there's no point complaining but they have little interest in golf as a competitive sport. They are usually in the club solely for social reasons but they are far from the majority in my experience.

So I am genuinely interested in what type of club you belong to.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I don't know anyone who isn't seeing these problems. Ok there are those in my club that don't really understand or care about the handicap system, previous or current, and they might argue that there's no point complaining but they have little interest in golf as a competitive sport. They are usually in the club solely for social reasons but they are far from the majority in my experience.

So I am genuinely interested in what type of club you belong to.**
**Non-traditional I believe 😁😉

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

So I am genuinely interested in what type of club you belong to.
Same at my club .
After years of this system it’s the main topic of conversation in the clubhouse on comp day.

The ones who are interested in competition golf now are the least likley to win.

Golfloveruk

Visit site
It’s not a minority you have your head stuck firmly in the sand ( or WHS manual)

So you don’t think single figures are good players 😂😂😂😂

How patronising to tell players to go away and work harder when WHS can help mediocrity win the club comps.

Yes I’m not good enough to compete with the low guys any more, I am well aware of that
But can’t compete against vastly inflated carpetbagger handicaps either.

At 67 yrs old I am not going to start to improve ,if anything it’s going the other way.
But when a 24 handicapper who should be off 18 shoots 48 pts thanks to his WHS gift of a handicap I have every right to question it.

Maybe you need to listen a bit more instead of thinking you’re just always right!
Please show me where I have said I am right? I think you are confusing me with your WHS is bad crowd.

I have said my experience doesn’t reflect what you and others are presenting. It is you who thinks they are right!! I wouldn’t be so arrogant!

Single figure players are obviously decent. But the top end isn’t that good in the grand scheme of things, and that group seem to be the most disgruntled on here. They have an over inflated opinion of how good a player they are. If you are shooting in the 80s most of your rounds 🤷🤷🤷

IanMac

Visit site
Please show me where I have said I am right? I think you are confusing me with your WHS is bad crowd.

I have said my experience doesn’t reflect what you and others are presenting. It is you who thinks they are right!! I wouldn’t be so arrogant!

Single figure players are obviously decent. But the top end isn’t that good in the grand scheme of things, and that group seem to be the most disgruntled on here. They have an over inflated opinion of how good a player they are. If you are shooting in the 80s most of your rounds 🤷🤷🤷
Decent single figure golfers stick at the game and are largely responsible for keeping clubs going for decades, in some cases centuries. Lose their buy-in, lose club golf.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

Phew, not me then (y)

IanMac

Visit site

Yes, you have explained your experience. I am interested in understanding a bit more about that experience. I'm not knocking it, just want to get an insight into the club you belong to. Is it private, i.e. owned by the membership, for example? How long has it been going? How long have you been a member? That sort of thing really.

IanMac

Visit site
Seems far more likely that it's the other >95% of golfers who are keeping golf clubs in business.
That's not what I said, is it? The committees are largely made up of long term golfers who quite often are, or have been, decent players.

Private clubs are clubs, not businesses. They don't have to make a profit.

A large group of members recently painted our clubhouse. That's a club.

Last edited: