Official WHS Survey

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A few hopefully quick WHS questions…I think I know the answers just need confirmation asap for a debate we are having at the club at this very moment…WhatsApp discussion is raging at the moment and I want my tuppence to be correct.

1) How many NRs can I have on a card to be submitted for WHS
2) Am I allowed at any time and for whatever reason I might chose to pick up my ball and score NR ( who’s to know in any case)
3) When I NR a hole, what score for the hole is allocated for WHS purposes
4) Is there a limit to the number of such cards present in my 20
5) Is there any penalty applied for having multiple such cards

The questions arise as my club proposes that our Saturday roll up should be submitted for WHS purposes…our rollup is casual friendly competitive with gimmies allowed. An option is for us to continue with gimmies and score NR for the hole on our WHS submission.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
A few hopefully quick WHS questions…I think I know the answers just need confirmation asap for a debate we are having at the club at this very moment…WhatsApp discussion is raging at the moment and I want my tuppence to be correct.

2) Am I allowed at any time and for whatever reason I might chose to pick up my ball and score NR ( who’s to know in any case)

The questions arise as my club proposes that our Saturday roll up should be submitted for WHS purposes…our rollup is casual friendly competitive with gimmies allowed. An option is for us to continue with gimmies and score NR for the hole on our WHS submission.
For your Saturday roll-up
1) Placing in the general area
2) 2 Mulligans per player
3) Pick, rake and place in all bunkers

Makes it more fun. Let it be known and tell your committee to deal with the cards appropriately.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For your Saturday roll-up
1) Placing in the general area
2) 2 Mulligans per player
3) Pick, rake and place in all bunkers

Makes it more fun. Let it be known and tell your committee to deal with the cards appropriately.
I kinda like the cut of your ideas…but my mates in the rollup need the basic questions answered as it’s these things that mess up their thinking.

The club wants us to change from current arrangements we have.

They given an ‘as is’ option with the only change being that we have to submit 3 out of 4 rollup rounds for WHS counting thinking we’ll reject it out of hand…which many of our regulars have already done. I am actually OK with it and I suspect many agin it have not fully thought it through. Hence my questions.

wjemather

Visit site
You mean "Accurate" right?

You keep sticking your head in the sand. The purpose of handicapping is to provide a level and equitable playing field. WHS does not, it favours higher handicaps
As per my previous comments, particularly #299 and #347, even your own club's results do not appear to support this opinion.

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you miss the point being made. There is a reward for not trying. If you get to hole 8 and you realise you are not going to be in the prizes you might as well stop trying otherwise you will be at a disadvantage when your bad scores are reasonable.

I do not know of one single golfer who actively "stops trying" after having a few bad holes. Its a matter of personal pride that they try to eke something out of their rounds. The realization that they might not be in with a chance of winning a prize simply does not factor in to their thinking.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As far as I'm aware there's no limit tk the number of NRs or cards with NRs..
When you NR a hole WHS applies a nett double to your scorecard.
If people are generally playing well but NRing a few holes via gimmees it will, surely, mess the handicapping system completely..
The gimmee may be for a par but a nett double goes on the card for handicapping.....
Done regularly, those cards may, eventually, impact a HI........
I just don't see that gimmees and WHS are compatible

wjemather

Visit site
I think you miss the point being made. There is a reward for not trying. If you get to hole 8 and you realise you are not going to be in the prizes you might as well stop trying otherwise you will be at a disadvantage when your bad scores are reasonable.
You are talking about cheating; not just that, but a practice that was even more prevalent under the old system when it was ok to not return a score at all.

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

1) Unlimited
2) No...the WHS assumes you will try to score your best on any hole....obviously if you are already over the nett double bogey number of strokes for a hole, then you might as well pick up.
3) Nett double bogey
4) No
5) No

IanMac

Visit site
I kinda like the cut of your ideas…but my mates in the rollup need the basic questions answered as it’s these things that mess up their thinking.

The club wants us to change from current arrangements we have.

They given an ‘as is’ option with the only change being that we have to submit 3 out of 4 rollup rounds for WHS counting thinking we’ll reject it out of hand…which many of our regulars have already done. I am actually OK with it and I suspect many agin it have not fully thought it through. Hence my questions.
If you're ok with gimmes then it's not a serious competition. Either knock in the gimmes and record the score or don't record the score. If you purposely don't finish a hole when scoring a card for WHS purposes then that should result in a penalty score overall. Not what you want.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site

1) No limit
2) Only after you have reached nett double bogey for handicapping (i.e. per Course Handicap)
3) Nett double bogey
4) No
5) No, as long as the scores are genuine and you have been trying to make the best score at each hole.

6) Gimmes are not permitted for handicapping - the Rules of Golf apply. Recording gimmes as NRs would not be acceptable.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

And there should end your handicap sec chasing you to put these in for handicap, you simply can't have gimmes, it's not the USA where any old crap goes. They're right that the sort of organise friendly comp you describe should now be considered handicap counting, but by not playing to the rules your cards should automatically be binned.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

If someone wants to submit scores then they can play the swindle to the rules of golf and handicapping

If you play Stableford for your swindle then you pick when you can’t score and it’s a blob at the end of the day

Can’t have a “gimmie” which allows anyone to score

IanMac

Visit site
You are talking about cheating; not just that, but a practice that was even more prevalent under the old system when it was ok to not return a score at all.
In essence you could regard it as cheating but many do it. I see the head go down and a don't give a damn attitude for the rest of the round, especially amongst higher handicappers, all the time. Is it cheating? Is it more prevalent? I'd say it's hard to call on the first count and it's no different on the second. The problem is that you get a much bigger differential with WHS, hence it now pays to play crap...

D-S

Visit site
Who gets to choose which 3 out of 4 rounds would be submitted and how would the other round be different?