• The Tam Oshanter/flat cap/beret

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else-detailed below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
it would be interesting to find out the mind set of us forumers what their general plan is off the tee. Yes this will differ at some holes which need a bit more planning but on the majority of occasions do we

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends on trees, wind, pin position, how manly im feeling etc

Cant decide clear winner but last time I played I gripped and ripped due to a crap day at work. Now on half term (Yippee) I will play relaxed and happy often laying up with my long irons pretending to be Sergio Garcia (Sorry Birdie)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Over 275 up to 350, I'll take the club that leaves the best distance in. I'd rather hit a 3H/5W off the tee and leave a full something, than have a 60 yard pitch over a bunker!

Over 350, driver every time, unless insanely tight.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
yeah this does depend on a lot but given the choice, i would try get down the fairway and close to the green because my short game is probably my best, my fairway play not so.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
i normally play for position , but if i'm driving well (which im not at the minute!) i'll give it a smack !!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My long irons can be a little suspect and so I tend to bring out the driver and try and get as near to the hole as possible.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
At the stage my game is at I tend to rip it, either driver or wood.
Obviously depends on the hole but a good spank off the tee sees me getting as close to the hole as possible as my fairway iron play is crap due to topping and hitting fat!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I tend to give it some welly on most par 4's unless there is a very narrow landing area with trouble to the right. For short par 4's I tend to have a lash at them. If I end up in a greenside bunker then so be it, I could end up there in 2 shot anyway so I can be happy that I'm giving myself a good chance of a birdie.

DCB

Visit site
I've started to play the percentage game a lot more in recent times than ever before. It has been an eye opener just what a difference getting the ball in the right place can make. I start my round with two par threes, the 1st more or less level at 246yds and the 2nd 246yds and all carry. Statistically my scores on these two holes alone are better when playing short and safe and pitching close with a chance of a par. Take the driver and mishit or go fooline and bothe these simple holes can end up with 5s or 6s quite easily.

On par 4s its easier to play shorter and into the fairway rather than longer and possibly into the rough. The proof that this one works will hopefully come this season where I want to play much more sensibly to try and get the handicap down. I'm going to try and play smarter rather than chase it all the time.

T

thecraw

When you try to place a driver thats when the problems arise. If your hitting driver, smack it.

If your going with 5 wood off the tee, also smack it, pussying about trying to place the ball off of the tee leads to bad bad bad shots.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I try and play the % shot most of the time. Sadly the state of my game means I am currently "directionally challenged" and can't say with any certainty whether the ball will be in the same postcode let alone the same fairway.

Even if I do get into the right position either off the tee or for my second I can't promise to hit the green. The state of my short game and putting as well I can almost play another whole round with the number of shots I'm taking.

Still not long until the clocks change and I can go out every night and play the same crap !!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I start my round with two par threes, the 1st more or less level at 246yds and the 2nd 246yds and all carry. .

w.t.h? your course starts with two 246 yd par 3s?

Where do you play......the devil's pitch n putt?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
At the stage my game is at I tend to rip it, either driver or wood.
Obviously depends on the hole but a good spank off the tee sees me getting as close to the hole as possible as my fairway iron play is crap due to topping and hitting fat!

I could have written that word for word. My driver usually gets me a good way down range; from there on . . .

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your going with 5 wood off the tee, also smack it, pussying about trying to place the ball off of the tee leads to bad bad bad shots.

only one hole on our course where I use a 5 off the tee - the first. More often than not trying to place it in the dogleg usually sees it either on the tenth or in the lake.

DCB

Visit site
realgolferuk

Oops bit of a misprint there, the first is only 244 yds, just checked the card. sorry for the mis-information.

Oh, they also both play into the prevailing wind!