Off the tee options?

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play off 15 h/c & use game Golf to track my stats & it is very obvious from looking at it that the 2x things stopping me going lower, is my poor putting & inconsistency off the tee with the driver.
I am gradually sorting my putting with a combination of practice & a grip change, but the driver issue is the one I really need to sort out.
I am not awful with the driver, my bad shot is a power sapping fade, but in general, I just lack distance.
I am better off the tee with a 3 wood in terms of distance & ball flight.
I feel confidant with a 3 wood in my hands & it just feels lovely to hit both from the tee & if the lie is ok, from the deck.

I went for a driver fitting the other day & although I did hit the newer range of drivers farther than my current one, the distances still were not what I would really expect out of a driver compared to my 3 wood.

I have been thinking about this since I had the fitting last week, I am not convinced that I would gain much by buying a new driver as I think my technique is lacking & try as I might, I just lack the consistency with the driver that is just not an issue with my other clubs.
So, I tried out the Taylormade Aeroburner Mini Driver, basically a strong, deep faced 3 wood, wow, it instantly felt comfortable in my hands, the numbers were great, spin rate was way down compared to the driver, ball speed was up, so was overall carry & dispersion was tight.
So I bought one.
I haven't tried it on the course yet, but I am hoping that maybe this will give me what I am looking for?
We will see.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dont forget lessons. Get a series too

I had just one on woods and the driver and pretty much took 5 shots off my best round, after giving a few for other improvements. Couldn't hit a 3 wood off the tee until the pro just said hit it and the hybud like a 5 iron.

Driver dispersion was also halved, now a bad hook finds the fairway or first cut instead of the jungle.

All that for less than the price of a meal out for two...

Wen from scraping under 100 to an 85 today with no balls lost off the tee. The only balls I nearly lost were due to aiming too safe and hitting a better shot than expected.

The only reason im not getting a follow up lesson is it was the last in a series.

Mini drivers are great but not a patch on good solid technique. Just make your bad shots better and scores will tumble.

Last edited:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Since buying the Aeroburner Mini Driver the big dog has been pretty much rendered obsolete. Distance wise there is barely anything in it however in terms of direction it's like night and day (although I know that's more down to me than the driver!) with the mini driver being far more consistent. I have also found it pretty reasonable to play off the deck as well.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same as R2R, Mini Driver, I have the AeroBurner also and its amazing. a wild one with this club is less than half as wide as before, but the distance is still more than acceptable.

Love mine!! I am playing second shots from fairways!?! its a whole new world for me!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Bear with me here.

I played Hawkstone Park over Friday and Saturday.

On Saturday, we played the Hawkstone Course. On the 15th hole is a nothing par 4 that is only 310 of the whites.

Played it to post hitting a 4 iron of the tree. PW into the green and 2 putts.

It occurred then to me that this is the exact same length of hole as the 16th at my gaff that I usually struggle on.

Usually I will take a 3 wood or sometimes driver.

Sometimes club selection and being shorter of the tree is better than bludgeoning a wood off the tee hoping for a shorter approach.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hve you tried just gripping half way down the grip on the driver to see if you can connect out of the middle of the face more frequently?

to follow up onone of the earlier posts, the pros do not take driver off all the tees, focusing more on placement or the distance needed off the tee to set up a preferred distance into the green.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
keep plugin away with the driver, I know they can be a nightmare when your off. But the driver should be a club you can trust to go straight, even if that means a 3/4 swing.
I'm currently struggling with mine, but I know its all me and not the club. As a couple of months ago, it was a fairway finding machine.
A 3/4 driver beats a full out 3 wood any time for me.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the original mini (about 1 year old but wayyy out of fashion now!) and I struggle with it. So I bought a driver, I'm fed up of trying the safe option and mucking that up too. if I'm going to struggle I may as well be the extra few yards up the hole.

the mini and hybrid I normally use are in the spares bag, hopefully for some time...

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's not question of accuracy especially.
It's more a question of risk factor in using the driver against distance.
My averages are .
Driver 199 yards
3 wood 205 yards
3 hybrid 192 yards
So as you can see, I am thinking why risk the driver, when I can take a safer to use club to get as much, or maybe a bit more distance.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If your 3 wood is longer and more accurate than your driver then I can't think why you would ever use your driver.

See if the mini gives you what you want, but personally I would be getting some lessons as obviously you have some kind of swing flaw with driver that is causing these results.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Best thing I did was to have a couple of inches lopped off my driver (down to about 43½) its now the same size as 3w & 5w

Gives you a mini driver with a full size head, win win! :D

still really want to try the Bertha mini that came out last week though

Svenska

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I struggle with fairway woods and hybrids, big raking draws. I've had a few lessons and the progress is very minimal. I am ok with a driver, 7/10 are spot on and the other 3 will be low with a bit of draw but will run a mile and usually fairly accurate. I am however very consistent with irons and bought a 2 iron recently. It goes 230+ off the tee which is a great go to club and I seldom use a 3 wood because of this. I know that isn't the answer long term as I should learn to be able to hit every club reasonably well if I want to improve but right now i'm glad I have someting to trust when I don't need driver.

Thexindi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play off 15 h/c & use game Golf to track my stats & it is very obvious from looking at it that the 2x things stopping me going lower, is my poor putting & inconsistency off the tee with the driver.
I am gradually sorting my putting with a combination of practice & a grip change, but the driver issue is the one I really need to sort out.
I am not awful with the driver, my bad shot is a power sapping fade, but in general, I just lack distance.
I feel confidant with a 3 wood in my hands & it just feels lovely to hit both from the tee & if the lie is ok, from the deck.

I went for a driver fitting the other day & although I did hit the newer range of drivers farther than my current one, the distances still were not what I would really expect out of a driver compared to my 3 wood.

I have been thinking about this since I had the fitting last week, I am not convinced that I would gain much by buying a new driver as I think my technique is lacking & try as I might, I just lack the consistency with the driver that is just not an issue with my other clubs.
So, I tried out the Taylormade Aeroburner Mini Driver, basically a strong, deep faced 3 wood, wow, it instantly felt comfortable in my hands, the numbers were great, spin rate was way down compared to the driver, ball speed was up, so was overall carry & dispersion was tight.
So I bought one.
I haven't tried it on the course yet, but I am hoping that maybe this will give me what I am looking for?
We will see.

I bought the Mini Driver because I couldn't hit my driver well and it was amazing, because of 2 things for me
1 -I hit the mini driver so well 9/10 I was on the fairway at a decent distance.
2 - hitting the mini well gave me confidence , enough to actually help me start hitting the driver well again.

Now I dont need the Mini anymore and my driving going pretty well right now

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

So I bought one.
We will see.

What do you call inconsistent. What is your FIR number. Personally I'd be looking at a driving, putting and maybe a playing lesson. Much cheaper than new shinies (although not as much fun I'll concede) and a good pro should sort these areas out quickly