odyssey XG or White steel?

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have the chance of either an odyssey XG1 or a White Steel 1 but am not sure what to do.

if you have used these, what is the difference in cost/performance/feel.

Many thanks as usual, Kev

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've had both. And they're both good. XG is newer that White Steel so should be a little more expensive.
I struggled with distance control with the White Steel - it's basically a steel insert in the White Hot insert!
The XG is a much better insert, more consistent.
But as ever the only sure way is to try them both on a green.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
thanks, depending on the price I might bet the white steel to see if I get along with it. I'm moving from a mallet to improve my heavy putting and if it works out I can then commit to an improved blade in the future

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had the white steel and because the steel insert was so small I spent more time trying to hit it central it affected my stroke. personally I'd give the steel a miss and go for the xg.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Like I was saying yesterday Kev, I have the XG Hot #1 and it is a very good putter. The feel off the face is fantastic and I find distance very easy to judge but sadly I needed to revert to a bigger putter as I just wasn't a good enough putter with my line for it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Never owned a white steel but tried a few out. I agree that it can be distracting as it is a small target area but I don't think you can go far wrong with the simple odyssey white inserts. I love my White Ice # 9 when the greens are quick. Buttery soft feel but for the moment my 30+ Anser 2 is doing fine on the wet greens