obtaining official handicap

andygrimbo

Visit site
This may seem a silly question, but im quite new to golf. I have been playing random courses for the summer and i am thinking of joining my local club. When i join the club i want to gain an official handicap, how is this obtained? i have heard that 5 rounds scorecards need to be submitted to the club and they will allocate me with a handicap? is this true? also do the qualifying rounds need to be played with partners or other club members? or can the be played on my own and submitted?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
usually its 3 cards that need to put in, they need to be played with a member who has a handicap (who marks your card) and you sign in (usually in pro shop) before you go out to play

currently in the process of trying to do again at a new club and finding it annoyingly difficult to get someone to mark cards midweek :(

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.
You need to only hand in 3 cards and normally a member needs to sign the cards but that varies from club to club.
My advice is to go along to the local club and have a chat with the secretary and see what their rules are.
Good luck and welcome to golf

andygrimbo

Visit site
Thanks for the speedy replies guys! as i dont really know anyone who is a member at the club that im joining, do u think that i will struggle to get other members to play 3 rounds with me and verify the scorecards? or does this vary from club to club?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
varies from club to club though the club itself should help you if struggling. will depend a bit on when you want to play, will be a lot easier if you play weekends

andygrimbo

Visit site
Im thinking of joining grimsby golf club, mostly will be playing weekdays but im sure i can persuade a member/members to play 3 rounds just to get me my handicap! also does your handicap expire if u dont play a set number of rounds per year?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
doesnt expire as such but handicaps are now defined as active or inactive. To keep your handicap active you must submit 3 qualifying scores per year. If your handicap becomes inactive you go through the 3 cards route again to activate it i think.

certain comps will require an active handicap to be able to enter

andygrimbo

Visit site
again these 3 cards per year must be marked and signed by a handicapped member? seems quite simple then! does the membership fee include my handicap or is there certain fees that go with this? and if i play in club competitions would these count towards my 3 marked rounds per year? again sorry if these seem simple questions but im new to all this

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A lot of clubs are doing meet and greets for new members. My club gets all the new members from the past 3-6 months for a social evening to meet the captain and committee informally and are encouraged to arrange games. You'll find some have already got involved with regular groups and so will be able to introduce you to members who'll mark a card for you.

Otherwise have a word with the secretary or pro as they usually know when there are members around who'd be happy for you to join them and mark a card for you

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Once you have your 3 cards in, and your handicap allocated, you need to play in three comps a year to keep it active. There is a charge for comps, normally somewhere between £1.50 and £3, which goes towards prizes. So in theory it will cost you £9 minimum to retain your handicap, unless you win something.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Andy, when you have joined if you are still struggling to get a handicap put a notice up in the locker room asking for a playing partner and the reason why.

Works at my club.

I was fortunate i had a commitee member take me round first as an introduction, then within a fortnight had three cards in.

If you have plenty of time to spend on the course, then turn up have a bit of putting/chipping practive and askk the first player/players you see approaching the first

Good luck

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
first thing to do is to talk to the handicap secretary. very often they will put you in contact with someone willing to mark your card.
second, playing midweek (especially if you are playing in the mornings) do not forget the seniors. they will often be out and most don't bite. talk to them. check the noticeboards though to avoid their competition days as you're less likely to be accommodated.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ask the Pro to find some likely playing partners, he will know who is worth asking and a lot of players will pop into the pro shop before a round

Chris