Obstruction within integral object

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looking for advice on an unusual one at my course please.

On our par 3 10th there is an 18/19th century ruin near the green. It a basically a few walls that used to form a house.
The ruin in an integral object and you do not get free relief.

There is a water tap that is within the boundary of the ruin. You can end up within the house and be impeded by the water tap, it is a few feet from a wall.

The tap is not defined in the local rules.

So, questions are.

1. Should there be relief if the tap impacts stance, ball or swing?
2. If there is interference from this object and also the wall, would you still relief or does the ruin take precedence?

Thanks.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The tap is an immovable obstruction from which you can take relief. If by taking relief from an IO you get clear of an integral object you’re in luck.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking for advice on an unusual one at my course please.

On our par 3 10th there is an 18/19th century ruin near the green. It a basically a few walls that used to form a house.
The ruin in an integral object and you do not get free relief.

There is a water tap that is within the boundary of the ruin. You can end up within the house and be impeded by the water tap, it is a few feet from a wall.

The tap is not defined in the local rules.

So, questions are.

1. Should there be relief if the tap impacts stance, ball or swing?
2. If there is interference from this object and also the wall, would you still relief or does the ruin take precedence?

Thanks.
How is the local rule relating to the ruin worded? Does it eg specify everything within the walls or only the structure?

salfordlad

Visit site
The Committee needs to own the answer and that local rule, IMO, does not eliminate doubt. Without Committee input, I'm sympathetic to relief - I've long held the view that players should not be bitten by Committee shortcomings. If they do not already know what answer they want, they need to decide. The permanent solution should include a stocktake of all "buildings and ruins" to facilitate improved clarity.