NRd and drop a ball during a medal

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
You cannot be disqualified either from a stroke play competition or for the hole in stableford for a breach of 27-1 until you have failed to correct a serious breach of it before you tee off at the next hole. Continuing to play out the hole having dropped in a wrong place is not in itself a breach of any other rule.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
All it needs is a committee member to decide you were messing about and DQ you under 6-7.

So as I said, best not to risk it.

Nonsense. That is specifically permitted under the Rules. You cannot be penalised for playing by the rules.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
All it needs is a committee member to decide you were messing about and DQ you under 6-7.

So as I said, best not to risk it.
If your group kept pace with the group in front, didn't hold up the group behind and didn't breech any pace of play arrangements a committee may have put in place then how could they?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I took that to mean in match play i.e. you've already lost the hole. Deffo not sure if this is advisable in a stroke play comp as you're not continuing as such, you're dropping another ball in a random spot and then playing additional strokes. Not quite the same as continuing in my book.

But it is the book published by the R&A which matters. Not yours.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The rules allow a DQ.

Ger, did you read my posting above? The one about how you cannot be disqualified for a serious breach of 27-1 until you tee off at the next hole without rectifying it?

The player in the OP's description who carried on playing the hole after his ball was OOB is not doing anything wrong other than the breach of 27-1. He is not unduly delaying play (in fact by not going back to play from where he played his previous stroke he is, if anything, speeding up).

Hence why I said I was not sure if it was advisable to continue.

In what way are we not reassuring you that the player was perfectly ok continuing play of the hole?

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ger, did you read my posting above? The one about how you cannot be disqualified for a serious breach of 27-1 until you tee off at the next hole without rectifying it?

The player in the OP's description who carried on playing the hole after his ball was OOB is not doing anything wrong other than the breach of 27-1. He is not unduly delaying play (in fact by not going back to play from where he played his previous stroke he is, if anything, speeding up).

If he takes another 6-7 shots to finish the hole, thus falling significantly behind the group in front and then tees off at the next, then what?

Lots of ifs buts and maybes but the original scenario is hypothetical and in the scenario above a DQ could come in to the equation.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Please refer to the decision I posted above.

That decision relates to a breach of the rules. In Stableford the player is DQd from the hole only. In a medal he is DQd from the competition. However, in both forms he is entitled to continue as the result of the hole (Stableford) or all the remaining holes (medal) have been decided, 7-2 makes provision for it. Further, it is most unlikely that CONGU would have included in their regulations the requirement to continue to play all remaining holes if it had not been cleared by the R&A.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
so its a dq then if done during a medal round. even if you nr at a hole but continue the rest of the holes

seems to sum it up, unless you correct the mistake before the next hole by going back to the tee and taking the penalties. Taking an NR at a hole during medal pretty much is an acceptance of DQ from the comp anyway so it is a moot point. You should still complete the rest of the round to the best of your ability for handicap purposes.