NRd and drop a ball during a medal

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
ok so i nr at a hole say after finding my tee shot OOB and i had not hit a provsional. can you drop a ball hit onto green and putt out

I wouldn't recommend that in a comp.

Does that not amount to practicing on the course during your round?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
In terms of the Rules, what you are doing is substituting a ball and playing from a wrong place which earns you 2 penalty strokes and since it would be a serious breach would earn you a DQ from the competition if not corrected. But you have already decided you are out of the comp anyway so it doesn't matter. It will go down as a nett double bogey for handicap calculations.

It would not, in case anyone was thinking along those lines, be practising on the course.

Edit: I must have been in your mind ger147

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend that in a comp.

Does that not amount to practicing on the course during your round?
The rules state that any strokes taken at a hole where the outcome has been decided aren't counted as practice strokes. So if you decide to continue as the op has described after making the choice to NR the hole then you can. Admittedly more applicable in a stableford round than a medal.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
The rules state that any strokes taken at a hole where the outcome has been decided aren't counted as practice strokes. So if you decide to continue as the op has described after making the choice to NR the hole then you can. Admittedly more applicable in a stableford round than a medal.

I took that to mean in match play i.e. you've already lost the hole. Deffo not sure if this is advisable in a stroke play comp as you're not continuing as such, you're dropping another ball in a random spot and then playing additional strokes. Not quite the same as continuing in my book.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bob
The outcome of the hole is not decided till the player tees off at the next hole:
either having failed to hole out on the previous hole;
or having completed it (as in the OP's case) with a serious breach of a Rule that would lead to disqualification.

Bigslice is continuing play of the hole but with a serious breach of Rule 27-1b which he could decide to correct up to the point of teeing off at the next hole.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bob
The outcome of the hole is not decided till the player tees off at the next hole:
either having failed to hole out on the previous hole;
or having completed it (as in the OP's case) with a serious breach of a Rule that would lead to disqualification.

Bigslice is continuing play of the hole but with a serious breach of Rule 27-1b which he could decide to correct up to the point of teeing off at the next hole.

What about during stableford play?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
What about during stableford play?

Rules wise, I think you're in the same place re. a breach i.e. randomly dropping a ball and playing more strokes.

And in Stableford format, are you not supposed to lift once you're in net double territory to aid pace of play? In that scenario, would it not be the opposite to be playing extra shots on a hole you are NR'ing?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rules wise, I think you're in the same place re. a breach i.e. randomly dropping a ball and playing more strokes.

And in Stableford format, are you not supposed to lift once you're in net double territory to aid pace of play? In that scenario, would it not be the opposite to be playing extra shots on a hole you are NR'ing?

But you wouldn't be DQ from the comp for doing it. Say if you just wanted to play the hole out (signature hole at an away course in an open stableford comp for example). Without holding up play etc. Basically it would be as if your ball didn't go OOB but the score just wouldn't count.

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
But you wouldn't be DQ from the comp for doing it. Say if you just wanted to play the hole out (signature hole at an away course in an open stableford comp for example). Without holding up play etc. Basically it would be as if your ball didn't go OOB but the score just wouldn't count.

You could be DQ'd. From the decisions:

Q. A player, unable to find his ball, drops another ball in the area where his original ball was lost and plays that ball. What is the ruling?

A. In match play, the player loses the hole – Rule 20-7b. In stroke play, the player incurs the stroke-and-distance penalty prescribed by Rule 27-1 and an additional penalty of two strokes for a breach of that Rule. If the breach was a serious one, he must rectify the error as provided in the second paragraph of Rule 20-7c; otherwise, he is disqualified.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could be DQ'd. From the decisions:

Q. A player, unable to find his ball, drops another ball in the area where his original ball was lost and plays that ball. What is the ruling?

A. In match play, the player loses the hole – Rule 20-7b. In stroke play, the player incurs the stroke-and-distance penalty prescribed by Rule 27-1 and an additional penalty of two strokes for a breach of that Rule. If the breach was a serious one, he must rectify the error as provided in the second paragraph of Rule 20-7c; otherwise, he is disqualified.

Not in a stableford though. Surely it would only result in DQ from the hole. Which has no impact really, as long as you don't think you can return a score, but you still get to enjoy finishing the hole (providing that it doesn't take another 10 shots!)

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not in a stableford though. Surely it would only result in DQ from the hole. Which has no impact really, as long as you don't think you can return a score, but you still get to enjoy finishing the hole (providing that it doesn't take another 10 shots!)

That's not what the rules say, and with a potential DQ I wouldn't be risking it for a few shots on a hole you intend to NR.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's not what the rules say, and with a potential DQ I wouldn't be risking it for a few shots on a hole you intend to NR.

Bar possibly falling foul of rule 6-7 if you were messing about I don't see any reason why you would be DQ from the comp from reading rule 32-2.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

That is indeed what Rule 32-2b tells you about Stableford:
In all other cases where a breach of a Rule would result in disqualification, the competitor is disqualified only for the hole at which the breach occurred.

[32-2a lists the Rules which do lead to a DQ from the competition if breached.]

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is indeed what Rule 32-2b tells you about Stableford:
In all other cases where a breach of a Rule would result in disqualification, the competitor is disqualified only for the hole at which the breach occurred.

[32-2a lists the Rules which do lead to a DQ from the competition if breached.]

You can be DQ'd under 27-1, the decision I posted above.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suggest that Rule 33-2 be read re the non DQ. This is consistent with CONGU requirement I mentioned to complete the round regardless of the result of an individual hole. Rule 32 Bogey, Par and Stableford Competitions http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-32/#32-2

b. For a Hole

In all other cases where a breach of a Rule or Rules would result in disqualification, the Compettor is disqualified only for the hole at which the breach occurred.

Last edited:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suggest that Rule 33-2 be read re the non DQ. This is consistent with CONGU requirement I mentioned to complete the round regardless of the result of an individual hole. Rule 32 Bogey, Par and Stableford Competitions http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Rule-32/#32-2

b. For a Hole

In all other cases where a breach of a Rule or Rules would result in disqualification, the Compettor is disqualified only for the hole at which the breach occurred.

All it needs is a committee member to decide you were messing about and DQ you under 6-7.

So as I said, best not to risk it.