Now I Never Knew That

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Something for things not realised - and how you came to find out?

Pink Floyd‘s The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Now that’s an interesting album title. Where they come up with that then?

I had started listening on BBC Sounds to The Wind in the Willows and thought that instead I’d buy the book. So in Oxfam Bookshop in town earlier today and sure enough they had a copy. Flicking through it - and there it was Chapter VII titled The Piper...

Apparently Syd Barrett loved the book and fancied himself as a bit of a Pan (as mentioned in that chapter of the book) and so that’s why he named the album so.

Also reading up I find out that when in Shine on you Crazy Diamond - about Barrett they sing ’...you piper’ - as in Pan playing the mouth pipes - that’s why.

And I never knew that either.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only once in chart history has a number one single included in its lyrics the title of the following number one single. The song was Bohemian Rhapsody and the lyrics / next number one were / was Mamma Mia.

Heard this on the radio.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Did you know there is only one correct place to stand when people are teeing off?

Pulls pin, throws grenade, runs for cover.
Not exactly one correct place - just that deemed by historical etiquette (as I was taught in the early 1970s by oldies) as being the most appropriate whenever possible ?

But that is a discussion from times past...

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not exactly one correct place - just that deemed by historical etiquette (as I was taught in the early 1970s by oldies) as being the most appropriate whenever possible ?

But that is a discussion from times past...

I thought it was all about safety as well as good golfing [correct] manners.
Using the HNSSP it is almost impossible to be hit by any ball or club whilst standing on a tee when your playing partners teed off.

Rick O' Shay off forward tee boxes/furniture /left hand players excluded. [unless you want to do a little tee dance](y)
In days of old left handed golfers were very rare as you could not buy left handed clubs.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just read this in the book i'm currently reading:

Bobby Moore is the only captain to ascend the Wembley steps on 3 consecutive years to lift 3 different trophies.

They were the 64 FA Cup, the 65 Cup Winners Cup and the 66 World Cup.