Not taking a full backswing...

DavidO

Head Pro
Visit site
A BIG thank you to ever mentioned this on a post in the last week!!

Played 12 holes today, was still fading the ball, despite closing the face on my driver... Anyway, with 4 holes to go, I remembered someones comment above. After that, hit the ball pretty nicely - even birdieing the par 3 15th. I might lose a little distance over a full back swing, but I rather take that and a straighter shot! (We'll just ignore the 18th... :mad:)

I reckon, due to my slightly larger than average size, this his helping me not swing out to in a little!!

:thup:

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One of the big things i have taken out of lessons. Overswinging the club is a sure fire way to lose control of it.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think more and more people are recently realising that less is often more! I am a convert, now club shaft doesn't really pass 12oclock, but distance has remained the same, if not increased slightly but accuracy has increased ten fold! I used to be ale to see the club face from my left eye at the end of the backswing and tried to murder everything 300 yards! Lol

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
the power/control is at impact not how far you swing it from! (easier said than done for me)

also I find tempo just as important but its one of them things, as a newbie that is either there or isnt :(

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I was playing at my best I only ever hit shots at 80/90%, saved the last 20/10% for rare occasions.

Its not the same as not taking a full backswing, its more stopping an overswing. Depending on how you swing could be advantageous.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you have got to find the point in the backswing that allows you to get the sweet contact. When I over swing I can hit it straight but I loose distance because I do not strike the ball as sweet. Always remember a sweet strike will always go further that taking a big backswing and trying to hammer the ball.