Not all high handicappers are bandits

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why do "better" players get into such a tiz when a 22-handicapper takes home the Stableford prize? While I appreciate it is incredibly unlikely that a 4 handicapper will score 44 points, it is perfectly feasible that someone off 22 could shoot the equivalent of 14 over. But instead they are greeted with cries of 'bandit'. If that person continues to play well their handicap will come down and it will be harder for them to win prizes. That's the beauty of the Stableford format - it allows less gifted players to win.

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
Stableford is good in that it rewards those golfers who are improving their game, and to that regard high handicappers are in this majority. Stroke play on the other hand is a game that high handicappers have no chance of really competing so that evens that out!

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
good point danny - you dont often hear higher handicapers bleat when a single figure player shoots 50% inside his hadicap (ie an 8 handicap shooting 4 over) to win the division 1 monthly medal

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I think higher handicappers are often improving golfers and as a result have the ability to shoot very low scores- that’s why the handicap system works so well-if a higher handicapper shoots under their handicap they get cut more. Speak to the majority of golfers and I think they’d want to get their handicap down.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You'd hope so Paul but there are a good few out there who want to protect their handicap. The odd strategic NR and a few poor rounds prior to the handicap club championship. Why don't high handicappers have any real chance of competing in strokeplay? I was playing in a competition yesterday where the winning score was a nett 60 - a guy off 15 shot 75. The best category one score was nett 65.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
I have to say I would hope everyone is in the game to keep improving and get their handicap down as low as possible -surely you would prefer to tell someone you are a single figure handicapper rather than the fact you won the monthly medal or something

But i know a lot of people would prefer the medal...sad!!

Visit site
I agree with the last poster - surely every golfer wants to better themselves

I have been playing golf for 31 years and have just this year got down to single figures - its been a long struggle but worth it. I might not have won any medals this year but I'm proud to be able to say my handicap is 9. Just hope I can keep it at that or get down to 8 in 2007

Hoppy

Club Champion
Visit site
I have been playing now for a year and I am still a 28 handicaper. I won one monthly medal back in July. I played fairly well but the main thing was all the others played badly, I have not won since not even close. I have however come 2nd in a couple of scrambles played at 20% handicap so I have lost a lot more shots than the low handicapers. I am not a bandit and would love to get my handicap down to between 16 to 20 this year and eventually lower, that would prove to me I was getting better.