North Yorkshire Golf

Fabia999

Visit site
I travel to North Yorkshire soon and want to play a round of golf. Can anybody recommend a good golf course to play?

Had a quick look at Romanby and Rudding Park so far.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
How far north do you want to be? Rudding Park is hardly in North Yorkshire. There are some decent tracks around Harrogate.

Do yo plan to stay overnight?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Have you tried looking at top100golfcourses.com as a starting point then searching by county? Not the greatest ranking in the world but a useful starting point.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Knaresborough
Oakdale (Harrogate)
Richmond is a bit further up the A1 but I like it
Rulefan recommended Wetherby to me the other day

I haven't played any in the York area I'm afraid but all of the above are within reasonable decent distance of where you will be.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How far north do you want to be? Rudding Park is hardly in North Yorkshire. There are some decent tracks around Harrogate.

Do yo plan to stay overnight?
Where would you class Rudding Park? Harrogate, Knaresborough, they are N. Yorkshire surely? Do you see them as north Leeds?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I had a 5 hour round a Rudding Park once. I'm never going back.
Knaresborough was ok as was Weatherby.
Oakdale for me. The 1st is a quirky par 4, teeing off from an extremely elevated tee. 9th is a brilliant par 3 protected by a pond. The par 4 18th is tighter than the proverbial ducks whatchamacallit with a steam in front of the green and a cliff behind. Scattered among these is a myriad of interesting golf holes.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Between Thirsk and York ideally. Getting dropped off as the other halves go into York for the day.

Fulford is probably handiest and best for York. We hold a few county fixtures there. York Golf Club at Strensall is probably nearly as good but a bit far out and isolated. I would suggest Ganton is too far.

Mate

Visit site
Yes Fulford is the one I know of. Also quite an historic place being near Stamford Bridge - the 1066 one.

Fabia999

Visit site
How much the op wants to spend is pretty key to this. Any idea on that Fabia?

I don't really have a budget in mind, I'm not interested in paying hundred quid a round at the best golf course.

My PP hasn't played too much golf recently so is a bit rusty so nothing mega difficult but I'd still like a course with some good holes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't really have a budget in mind, I'm not interested in paying hundred quid a round at the best golf course.

My PP hasn't played too much golf recently so is a bit rusty so nothing mega difficult but I'd still like a course with some good holes.
I guess it's a case of check out the suggestions, see their location, see the green fee. None of the suggestions are duffers so it is working out which offers the best combination.

Based on your comments I would give Pannal a miss. Very good course but pricey and tough. One for another time.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where would you class Rudding Park? Harrogate, Knaresborough, they are N. Yorkshire surely? Do you see them as north Leeds?
Rudding Park is in Harrogate. But none are really on a convenient route from York to Thirsk.
Nearest to that route is Easingwold. Thirsk and Fulford are at each end. Fulford is the best but nothing to choose between the others (except may be slightly cheaper. They all take the County Card.