North Worcestershire Golf Club - to close?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
GRIM. I used to play at N Worcs (15+ years ago) and my coach is the Pro at the other one...

Oh no... :(

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
The shareholding members I've played with reckon it will probably stay open for 2 years while they sort out the sale to Bloor homes and the legalities etc.
There has been some talk about a local college/university buying it as a sports training facility, as has happened to nearby Gay Hill, now known as Hollywood, but I reckon Bloor would pay considerably more, and money talks!

John Llewellyn

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The shareholding members I've played with reckon it will probably stay open for 2 years while they sort out the sale to Bloor homes and the legalities etc.
There has been some talk about a local college/university buying it as a sports training facility, as has happened to nearby Gay Hill, now known as Hollywood, but I reckon Bloor would pay considerably more, and money talks!

Didn't know Gay Hill had changed its name!

Richuk123

Head Pro
Visit site
Didn't know Gay Hill had changed its name!

Neither did i to be fair.

Sadly, we are in a world where money does talk. The land that North Worcs. golf course sits on is worth some ££ and the board have cashed in. in one sense i can't say i blame them, but i do feel sorry for the 100's of members who have been loyal for years, only to be "sold out". only saving grace is that there are some local courses that will pick up some more members (Harbourne, Brandhall, Halesowen to name a few)

it is a shame.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
If the club does hang on for a couple of more years - will the members. I believe that membership numbers have already dropped.

Well, I've certainly quit, I've bought a season ticket for the local Mytime courses. I can choose from any of 5 Birmingham courses and save £300 on what I would have paid for North Worcs.

For info about Gay Hill see http://www.gayhillgolfclub.co.uk/

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, I've certainly quit, I've bought a season ticket for the local Mytime courses. I can choose from any of 5 Birmingham courses

Where can you play? (not that I'm expecting to move back any time, although I'd like to....)

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
Where can you play? (not that I'm expecting to move back any time, although I'd like to....)

I can play Lickey Hills, Cox Moors Woods, Hilltop, Harborne Church Farm and Boldmere for free. For an extra £70 I could have added Pype Hayes and Hatchford Brook but since I only tend to play Pype Hayes a couple of times a year it makes more sense to pay as I play.

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've got something similar with MyTime where it costs me £6.50 a round after 2pm each day of the week. Its an under 25's card for those interest and at the time of purchasing, Mark the Pro at Lickey Hills did mine and a friends for £15 each when they were supposed to be £30 each. I think its about £19 a round normally!