North Wales GC (and local)

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone played North Wales GC? Would appreciate a wee review.

Any other ‘must play’ courses in that neck of the woods?

dronfield

Visit site
I've played it - very nice links course and well worth a visit.

Plenty of courses in that area to choose from - my must plays include; Conwy, Royal St Davids, Aberdovey, Nefyn, Prestatyn.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

North Wales GC is a cracking little course and always good value. 1st couple of holes are a bit meh but after 5/6 it opens right out. Maesdu is across the railway line from NWGC and is a decent enough course.

Prestatyn isnt too far from Llandudno but I'd stay local and play Conwy.

Conwy is a cracker though and definitely worth paying the extra to play.

We used to do a Friday-Sunday trip staying in Llandudno and play those 3 and always got a great deal.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Prestatyn was absolutely dire when we played it. Was told it's a great links track. It was such a disappointment.

Would never go back.

D

Deleted member 21258

Conwy, is a nice enough course, for a mixture of handicaps, fairly wide, very open on most holes.

In that kind of area is Bull Bay. heard many good things about it.

IanMcC

Visit site
Dont forget Rhuddlan, my home course!
It is good value for money.
North Wales GC is OK, if a little quirky. I much prefer its neighbour, Maesdu.
Conway is a must if you are in that area. It is an Open qualifying course, and is staging the Curtis Cup next year.
Padeswood & Buckley is another cheap little gem.
Hope you enjoy your trip.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
North Wales is a lovely club and the course has some great holes. As with most in that area, you're never going to get a worldie of a links course, but there are plenty which are great fun to play, have some fantastic holes and will give you a great welcome. IMO, North Wales and Conwy are probably the nicest. Maesdu is nice, Prestatyn never really floated my boat, but I know others who love it. Bull Bay is lovely and if you're willing to drive an hour , I think Portmadog is a great course. The back nine in particular would hold its own against some of the best links courses. You can head out to the Wirral too from where you are......Wallasey, Hoylake , Caldy, Heswall are only a little over an hour away.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks or all the replies folks. Looking for a few places to play before forest pines next year. We’ve done east coast and west and thought about north wales for something different. There’s a pairs open on the Saturday before at north wales GC so might partake. Conwy looks a shout for the Friday.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks or all the replies folks. Looking for a few places to play before forest pines next year. We’ve done east coast and west and thought about north wales for something different. There’s a pairs open on the Saturday before at north wales GC so might partake. Conwy looks a shout for the Friday.

If u r going in the summer u could abergele, not a links so it could give u a break from the wind.
Very near to llandudo and conwy

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are on Anglesey, Bull Bay is worth a visit. Holyhead, ok course terrible clubhouse. Henllys has spectacular views. Good parkland course great in summer but very wet in the winter.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got a cracker of a weekend lined up:

Friday- off to Wales where we will book a morning round nearer the time. Few options available to us. Did fancy Prestatyn but a bit put off by Craw's comments. Off to Conwy in the afternoon for a twilight round (£30)

Saturday- 4BBB Open at North Wales GC.

Sunday- off to Forest Pines for 2 fun days with the forum numpties.

5 rounds of golf, 3 nights stay, dinner, bed and breakfast for £350. A steal.

Wolf

Visit site
How about adding Maesdu? Certainly good enough to be included for a knock. Won't exactly blow you away but won't disappoint either.
Id 2nd that as a place to visit, its not mind blowing but is an enjoyable little knock and has the history of having held the PGA before Wentworth.

The Lion

Visit site
Late to the party, however I saw this thread as a newbie and wanted to add a few things. First, I hope those of you who went had a great trip. I certainly have loved playing there over the last few months, and it’s made me a better golfer too!

I only started playing regularly again last year and so joined North Wales as a country member. It’s a great course, and as many above attest, there are also many other brilliant courses in the region too.

A non-definitive list for me includes North Wales, Conwy, Porthmadog, Bull Bay, Holyhead, Aberdovey, Nefyn, Royal St. David’s, Holywell, Abersoch, plus courses like Holyhead, Anglesey, Pwllheli, Penmaenmawr, Machynlleth all have their charms. I’ve not yet played Prestatyn, Maesdu, or the parklands so can’t comment.

I’d actually say that in some ways, all of these are “worldies”, at least when you look at many of the holes each have. Indeed, there plenty of brilliant, world class golf holes in the region, many of which make my all-time list, and I’ve played a lot in Scotland!

Ultimately, each of these courses possesses a uniqueness about them, with some special holes, quirkiness, hilltop green sites, diverse plant life (plentiful marram, mixed fescues, gorse, heather, dune species et al), hosting a wide array of birds, mammals and insects, with even sheep grazing on some courses, all set to breathtakingly beautiful scenery too. Conditioning may not always be the best, granted, but you’ll almost always have fun, even in a hoolie!

I’ve rambled enough! If anyone is interested in a trip to the area this winter or next year, please let me know and I’ll happily help as much as I can, and also come for a round or three!

Crumplezone

Visit site
Beware of ravens stealing your golf balls at Bull Bay. There's a notice in the clubhouse about it. They stole about 5 of my wife's coloured ones when we went. Picked them up off the fairway and flew off with them. Left my white ones alone though.

Enjoyed Nefyn. Playing the point course is a must.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played north wales with the missus on Thursday , nice course and the last 4 holes were tough when the wind and rain come ( in force).

would defo recommend it and actually enjoyed it more than Conwy ( however Conwy in my opinion is a better quality links course).

we also played Prestatyn and Rhuddlin ( as well as Conwy and North Wales) and found these two both great fun. Rhuddlin was actually quite a tough park land while Prestatyn was quite open But took us nearly 5 hours to play, I think this was due to it being a Sunday and a lot of visitors :)

@lion as your a member of North Wales, I would like to add we was made very welcome by all that work and played there and the warm Eccles cakes we had when we finished are to die for too ??

The Lion

Visit site
Played north wales with the missus on Thursday , nice course and the last 4 holes were tough when the wind and rain come ( in force).

would defo recommend it and actually enjoyed it more than Conwy ( however Conwy in my opinion is a better quality links course).

we also played Prestatyn and Rhuddlin ( as well as Conwy and North Wales) and found these two both great fun. Rhuddlin was actually quite a tough park land while Prestatyn was quite open But took us nearly 5 hours to play, I think this was due to it being a Sunday and a lot of visitors :)

@lion as your a member of North Wales, I would like to add we was made very welcome by all that work and played there and the warm Eccles cakes we had when we finished are to die for too ??

Thanks very much for the compliments. I forwarded them into the team. I know they’ll appreciate it.

I’m really glad you had a good trip there. I’m up for joining you sometime in future.